Recipe Do you use any ancient grains like kamut or einkorn in your bread baking?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
10:45 PM
A little while ago, I was listening to a an interesting programme on the radio about grains and bread baking. They were talking about using ancient grains, and how delicious they are, and urging listeners to give them a go in their baking - cakes and biscuits, as well as bread baking.

I recently started replacing one third of my regular bread flour for kamut in both sourdough and yeasted breads, and it works really well. It's worth noting that these flours do not absorb the same amount of water as regular wheat, but the flavour and texture they give to bread is delicious!

So now that I've been experimenting with bread recipes, I'm thinking of how I can use it in my sweet bakes - has anyone here ever tried it? I've come across this recipe that I think I'll try first:

Einkorn Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 8 tbsp. butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips
  • 1¾ cups einkorn flour

1. Cream your butter, sugar, salt and baking soda.
2. Add your egg and vanilla to the creamed mixture.. mix until emulsified.
3. Mix in chocolate chips, gently.
4. Sift flour before you measure, then mix until fully incorporated.

Cookie dough will be placed on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can use a tablespoon or a cookie scoop to measure out and place your cookie dough. I use my hands, roll into balls, set on sheet and press down lightly. Space 1 inch apart.

Place your cookies in a 325°F oven. Bake for 13-15 minutes (rotate half way through). Cookies are done when the edges and bottom are a very light golden brown.

I'll let you know how it goes!

I have heard about einkorn but have not used it yet. I plan to give it a try since it is an ancient grain. I have some gluten sensitivity, so I don't know if it will be something I really want to eat regularly, which is why I am hesitant to try it, though I wonder if with it not being so hybridized and modified like most wheat, if it might not bother me.

Have you noticed any significant texture difference when using this flour verses other wheat flour?

I have heard about einkorn but have not used it yet. I plan to give it a try since it is an ancient grain. I have some gluten sensitivity, so I don't know if it will be something I really want to eat regularly, which is why I am hesitant to try it, though I wonder if with it not being so hybridized and modified like most wheat, if it might not bother me.

Have you noticed any significant texture difference when using this flour verses other wheat flour?

I find it has a little more of a drier texture than regular wheat; I usually mix it through white flour for bread making, but for the cookies, it was a lovely crunchy texture that seems better to me than wheat flour.

I'm looking forward to finding some more good recipes to use it in; I'm hoping it will work with pancakes, or other sweet breakfast things like muffins or waffles. I'll report back if/when I come up with some more good uses. :chef:

I have never heard of them, so I haven't used them...But in regular supermarkets, you usually find wheat and corn flour, may be one or 2 other semi-popular other options...where do you find other grains?
It's not just that I haven't heard of them, but I wouldn't know where to buy them....is it possible we just don't have them in the country?

I suspect that some of them won't be available to go in Serbia but I know that you will have access to some in health food shops so it will just be a case of looking around and even working out what they are called in Serbian. You will also have access to other grains as well that those of us on the UK won't have so it would be interesting if you were able to let us know what ones you are found and enjoyed. I do know that when I was in Novi Saad we were able to get hold of quite a bit during our brief stay.

Back
Top Bottom