Doctoring food. Any tips or tales?

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
3:49 AM
OK, first of all Kings X with my fingers crossed. I need a free pass card on this thread.
I have to cook, ok it isn’t cooking, I prepare is more like it - quite a few meals a day.

In addition to feeding the Covid shut-in kids, it's supper for the Wifie at home then send her to work with two more meals.

Ali works long hours. Her works commissary fare like gas station food.

Can’t always do scratch cooking so I busted out the Bertoli. I had to doctor it up with more shrimp, cream, broth and seasonings. Makes it more palatable.

I used spike and COSTCO no salt seasoning too.

Any doctoring tricks to any pre-made meal that YOU do?

Last edited:
Lunch didn’t look anything like the picture on the box. More like pre-school fish sticks.
But my simple tartar sauce of Best Foods/Helmans Mayo, a dash of Lea & Perrins, a dash of lemon juice mixed with relish made of bread and butter pickles helped.

I doctor pre-made food up all the time. So, obviously, I'm drawing a blank on what I doctor up. :facepalm:I'll stop thinking about it, so I'll remember some.:laugh:

CD

Costco or Sam’s Club Rotisserie chicken
Cream of chicken soup or bottled gravy
King’s Hawaiian Rolls
Pull the chicken of the bone and shred, make a gravy and use the King’s Hawaiian rolls for shredded chicken sliders.
Serve with Bob Evan’s mashed potatoes from the refrigerated section at the grocery.

Costco or Sam’s Club Rotisserie chicken
Cream of chicken soup or bottled gravy
King’s Hawaiian Rolls
Pull the chicken of the bone and shred, make a gravy and use the King’s Hawaiian rolls for shredded chicken sliders.
Serve with Bob Evan’s mashed potatoes from the refrigerated section at the grocery.
I mix a bit of Mayo and butter with the Bob Evans.

Frozen supermarket pizza is a prime candidate for doctoring. I also will doctor jarred gravy with a little wine and fresh herbs.

I think Sandra Lee, and Mr. Food before her, have made a living out of doctored meals.

Frozen supermarket pizza is a prime candidate for doctoring. I also will doctor jarred gravy with a little wine and fresh herbs.

I think Sandra Lee, and Mr. Food before her, have made a living out of doctored meals.
Boars Head pepperoni & Jimmie Dean sausage.
Uuuummm.

Ready made pasta sauces. Twenty years ago, newly single and having to cook for myself I discovered the Loyd Grossman range of pasta sauces. Puttanesca was my favourite. I gradually started adding things, a base of onion and garlic, extra olives, fresh basil, Parmesan. Before long I was making it all from scratch, so goodbye Loyd Grossman. It was the start of my cooking journey, tasting, tweaking, experimenting that has now become second nature. Every time I see a jar of Loyd Grossman sauce I smile and give thanks.

I remembered one. BBQ Sauce. I start with a basic sauce like Kraft or KC Masterpiece, and had heat and honey. I like Heat-and-Sweet BBQ sauce, but don't always feel like making It from scratch. I use the commercial sauce as a foundation, and build on it.

CD

Last edited:
I think the only pre-prepared food I occasionally use is Bisto gravy. I like chicken gravy so I'll make that from scratch, but I'm not really a fan of gravy with pork, lamb or beef whereas hubby loves it. So because its only for him I use Bisto (he's happy with this - it reminds him of his mum), but I always add the meat juices instead of some of the water.

I remembered on. BBQ Sauce. I start with a basic sauce like Kraft or KC Masterpiece, and had heat and honey. I like Heat-and-Sweet BBQ sauce, but don't always feel like making It from scratch. I use the commercial sauce as a foundation, and build on it.

CD
In a similar vein, canned baked beans/pork-and-beans usually get some additional work done to them.

Back
Top Bottom