Doctors say fruit juice is not good for your kids

My kids mostly drink water, it has been that way since they were little. Once a day or so they will have juice, and very rarely do we ever allow them to have soda. I recently just learned about the whole juice is just as bad as soda thing recently, and I will admit that I was a bit shocked. I always thought I was watching out for my kids health :bravo:. I am proud of the fact that I have not purchased a pouch of Kool Aid in about 12 years though!

I thought I was the only one around here who used sparkling water to make juice fizzy. I'd water it'd down for kids, definitely - not because of sugars, necessarily, but because the kids gulp it down in guzzles and don't taste it like we can afford to sit here and talk about how tasty it was - they just want their juice when they want it.

They can have it. Watered down! :hyper:

My colleague has 2 kids, her eldest drinks a lot of orange juice, last time they were at the dentist he mentioned her son's teeth and asked about drink when she said about orange juice he told her that too much was bad because of the sugar in it, when she told me she then said 'well, you don't realise do you' I replied straight to her face that yes actually, I asked her if she had ever eaten a fresh orange and had a drink of juice, which is sweeter?

They did an experiment once giving children juice with their breakfast and the same children with the equivalent whole oranges before their breakfast. None were able to eat their breakfast afterwards. One even vomited. So at least in terms of calories, not a good idea.

My colleague has 2 kids, her eldest drinks a lot of orange juice, last time they were at the dentist he mentioned her son's teeth and asked about drink when she said about orange juice he told her that too much was bad because of the sugar in it, when she told me she then said 'well, you don't realise do you' I replied straight to her face that yes actually, I asked her if she had ever eaten a fresh orange and had a drink of juice, which is sweeter?

Another thing is that with fruit juices, there are God knows how many added preservatives and extra ingredients. I love drinking juice, but I see it only as a step above soda. Besides, there's no beating the real thing.

Another thing is that with fruit juices, there are God knows how many added preservatives and extra ingredients. I love drinking juice, but I see it only as a step above soda. Besides, there's no beating the real thing.
They don't add anything to it they pasteurise it. They don't need to add anything to it. If they did it would be on the box.

They don't add anything to it they pasteurise it.
you should see what is actually added to some "fruit juices"! One or two are not even vegetarian anymore!
Tropicana Pure Premium...
http://www.tropicana.com/#/trop_products/productsLanding.swf?TropicanaPurePremium/55
follow the link if you don't believe what I have highlighted below!

tropicana.jpg

Tropicana Some Pulp... not any better and may or may not be vegetarian, depends of the source of some of those ingredients!

tropicana2.jpg

You have to watch the ingredients very carefully with all fruit juices.

I was thinking of the standard ones which just say pasteurised And 100% juice from concentrates. It appears the cheaper ones are the least "corrupted". What is the logic of putting fish in it?

you should see what is actually added to some "fruit juices"! One or two are not even vegetarian anymore!
Tropicana Pure Premium...
http://www.tropicana.com/#/trop_products/productsLanding.swf?TropicanaPurePremium/55
follow the link if you don't believe what I have highlighted below!

View attachment 736

Tropicana Some Pulp... not any better and may or may not be vegetarian, depends of the source of some of those ingredients!

View attachment 737

You have to watch the ingredients very carefully with all fruit juices.

Lets be honest, very few people look at the ingredients unless their is an allergy/intolerence issue, and let's face it, very few people know what all those things are anyway.

Nothing like fish in my juice. All I ever say to myself is, 'Joan, why don't you mix your orange juice with fish oils'. Boy, am I glad Tropicana heard that cry for help. :scratchhead:

I am afraid I am one of those saddos who nearly always reads the label. When I looked at the price of Tropicana and saw it wasn't even pure fruit juice I just put it back. I only checked it to see what they could have possibly added to make it a value added product, relative to pure fruit juice? Checked in my pantry and have two boxes of long life orange juice dated 2013. If I hadn't bought 16 bags of dehydrated and part rehydrated Whitworth fruit from Approved foods I would have used it to part rehydrated sultanas and raisins. Will wait and hopefully remember to do that when I run out....2016?

Back
Top Bottom