Doenjang / Miso by any other name...

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
7:39 AM
Sooo... I talk about the Japanese lifestyle stores that I like to frequent to get neat kitchen stuff. The Japanese grocery, though, at least all the ones I know of, is... far. More than a few train stops away. I wouldn't trust the shiso leaves to make it back alive.

That's why I decided to do a more thorough search of the Chinese grocery store that's just a block away, because, while the mainland's got its own tastes and resources and is very much its own culinary...thing...well, there's sometimes some crossover.

I was mainly looking for sesame oil (which I found, yay!), rice wine that isn't quite so expensive (which I found, yay!), and rice wine vinegar (which I found, yay!)

Just when it looks like something close to this tsukune rice burger thing is going to happen, the person on staff who has been helping me all through this leads me to miso...

Okay, I am looking for Aka miso. We're probably more familiar with Shiro miso which is white, and I was pleasantly surprised to fine a lump of white miso and a lump of yellow (Awase) miso at the hypermart...but I'm looking for the red kind. The yellow will do in a pinch, but I want to get as close to the original recipe on my first try.

I figured--well, I'd hoped--that there would be equivalents to make the distinction in Chinese, but not only were there not (that I know of, because there wasn't any of the Chinese stuff in stock) but there was only Korean miso in stock, in this Chinese grocery store, which I'm shopping at to cook something Japanese: that is, doenjang, particularly Haechandle doenjang.

I'm not even sure that I'm talking about the right one. The subtitle on the tub-container translates it into "soy paste" but running the term through a search engine took me to a blog about Korean soy sauce.

There was another tub with a subtitle that claimed to be spiced, but I'm seeking red miso fermented into redness, not something like red miso that is red because it has chili pepper added or something.

Would any Korean people be able to shed light on this? Can I substitute one for the other?

We have some great looking asian store locally but im scared to go in because i dont know what im looking for.

We have some great looking asian store locally but im scared to go in because i dont know what im looking for.

Indeed. I'm usually the loudest advocate for trying something new, but when it comes to things you are going to cook and eat, and a language barrier...that can make for a dish that's neither authentic nor palatable, and might even lead to food poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom