Doing laundry

Local time
10:01 AM
How often do you do laundry? I have some friends who think they have to wash every day. When using a washing machine for this purpose, which the great many of us do, it pulls electricity. I prefer to wash a medium-to-large load once a week rather than doing small loads daily or every other day. In this way, I can conserve electricity. Not only is electricity conserved, but there is less water usage as well. However, I believe there are some people who just love to wash.

I do laundry about once a week, but it is like an all day event with as many loads as I have to do. We have a family of 4 here and it seems as though the laundry never ends. I have even encouraged everyone to wear their pants 2 or 3 times before throwing them in the hamper, they are starting to listen!

There is only myself and Mr WD here, so I usually do the washing once a week. Sometimes I only have enough white stuff to wash every 2 weeks. I only wash if i have a full wash otherwise it's a waste of water and electricity.

I do laundry about once a week, but it is like an all day event with as many loads as I have to do. We have a family of 4 here and it seems as though the laundry never ends. I have even encouraged everyone to wear their pants 2 or 3 times before throwing them in the hamper, they are starting to listen!

I, also, do it once a week. I also have a portable washer & dryer. The dryer helps keep me from having to line-dry the clothes - which they sometimes harden when hung on the line, especially jeans, wash cloths & towels. I HATE that!! :headshake: :stop:

Every day ! Sports kits have to be done daily and we incorporate our other wash into it

Here in the UK [whatever the 'experts' say] we do not have to save water. It rains more or less every other day [maybe you get three dry days if you are lucky, but by then the doomsday prophets are telling us we will all die in a saharan wasteland - bah]. So at least we can wash whenever we want - we usually do a wash twice or three times a week.

With a baby now, and cloth diapering part of the time, I'm doing laundry every single day.

It sounds like a lot, but I would say laundry is actually one of my favorite chores to do. As long as I stay organized and don't let it overwhelm me or get out of control then I don't mind!

There are times when I would separate certain items of clothing from others. For instance, I prefer to wash bath towels separately. When I have to do this, then I would do 2 wash loads.

Something else we can save on by washing less frequently, is detergent. Doing regular small washes uses up more detergent, although there may be a tendency to use a lot of detergent when washing large loads. This is not necessary, however, since one cup of detergent may be enough to do the job.

I do laundry at least every other day and could probably do it more often. With two kids who are active in sports and a triathlete husband, there is a lot of sweaty clothes in this house!

Haier HLP23E Portable Washer..jpg

And speaking of doing laundry, my present washer is about to conked out on me. I can FEEL it!
The motor runs way too slow, like it is about to just give up the ghost & cash in its chips.

I've had & used it for 13 years, so I think that I got my money's worth out of it.
I'm strongly considering getting the one pictured above in the next month or so. :unsure:

I, also, do it once a week. I also have a portable washer & dryer. The dryer helps keep me from having to line-dry the clothes - which they sometimes harden when hung on the line, especially jeans, wash cloths & towels. I HATE that!! :headshake: :stop:

I wish I could clothes line my clothes to dry them, but unfortunately there is no where in my tiny tiny yard to string a line. I had thought about getting one if those portable clothing hanging stands and putting it on my patio, but I don't even think it would support an entire load of laundry. I hate the wear and tear that clothes go through when you wash and dry them with the machines, but the machines are such a time saver.

I'm closer to deciding on a new Haier HLP24E portable washer.
Walmart & Home Depot have it for the same price. Might have to discard the old one myself and bring the new machine up the stairs myself, but I have a friend who will help me do it. :wink:

Pants in England can also be used as a name for underwear so when I read that you encourage everyone to wear their pants 2 or 3 times :ohmy:. Your pants are what we call trousers, I hope that is what you meant

Pants in England can also be used as a name for underwear so when I read that you encourage everyone to wear their pants 2 or 3 times :ohmy:. Your pants are what we call trousers, I hope that is what you meant

Had exactly the same thought! I wash my (under)pants after wearing only once.
Laundry gets done pretty much every day. There is always something needing it as we are all fairly active with sport. Clean shirts for work and school are a must each day.
Luckily the washing machine has a 15 minute cold cycle that with minimum detergent and a fast spin conserves water and energy.

MM

Back
Top Bottom