Domino's Mayonnaise Pizza

MoniqueS

Veteran
Local time
8:02 AM
Website
youngandpennywise.tumblr.com
In Japan you can order a range of different pizzas all covered in mayonnaise:
  • Onion, corn, potato, pancetta, paprika w. mayo.
  • Meat-lover's pizza w. mayo.
  • Avocado & shrimp w. mayo.
  • Chicken teriyaki w. mayo.
Do any of these sound good to you?

None of these sound very good to me. I don't like mayonnaise. As far as I'm concerned, mayonnaise ruins pizza.

On another note, the first combination sounds really except for the mayo. I would also leave off the pancetta. I like to make my own pizza with lavish bread. I might try a variation of the first option with roasted corn and red onion and maybe black beans.

No thank you! I would have to pass on all of those! None of them sound good to me and I am not a huge mayonnaise fan. It is certainly a new and unusual concept to pizza, but it's not something for me!

Sounds even worse than mayonnaise on a hamburger. How did mayonnaise end up on hamburgers in America? Domino's usually does their research, I guess there must be a market for it. Or am I hallucinating about this?

Sounds even worse than mayonnaise on a hamburger. How did mayonnaise end up on hamburgers in America? Domino's usually does their research, I guess there must be a market for it. Or am I hallucinating about this?

I don't know how it happened but I'm glad it did. I don't enjoy mayonnaise by itself on a hamburger but most sauces that are delicious are based on mayonnaise.
And yes I would assume that there is a market for it, especially since there are a couple different varieties instead of one "test" pizza.

At first I could see the repulsion to this, but if you think about it a little more, it's not a whole lot different from ordering a "white pizza" which is essentially using a bunch of garlic infused olive oil in place of the tomato sauce. Mayo is just oil emulsified with egg and an acid. I would definitely be willing to try something like this. In fact I've already had something very similar on many occasions.

There is a restaurant near me called Penn Station, which sells a fantastic Vegetarian option. It's sauteed artichokes and mushrooms that are placed on a crusty roll that's been smeared with Mayo. They then add a bunch of mozzarella cheese and some oregano and broil the whole thing until melted and golden. It is fantastic, and the mayo goes really well with the briny artichokes. It's a very filling sandwich. I'm not even vegetarian and I would order it sometimes instead of their signature cheese steak sandwiches.

Not being a big fan of mayo, the only pizza that sounds good is chicken teriyaki. All of the rest of the pizzas are foods I would normally not eat with a white sauce. But - to each their own.

Here's a photo of the potato & mayo pizza . . .
dominos-japan-mayo-potato-pizza-del.jpg

Back
Top Bottom