Donuts.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
5:34 AM
Has anyone ever made donuts before? There are two types that I know of. Raised & the fried method. Which one do you like to make? I'm thinking about making some. Never tried it before. :wink:

What I'll do first is make sure that have the equipment. There's a recipe in the old Betty Crocker '72 edition that I have.

Churros are not what Shermie is asking about. They are made of pate choux type dough.

I'm pretty sure Shermie is asking about cake or yeast donuts. I've made yeast donuts several times before and they get fried Shermie. I don't like cake donuts (except once in a very, very, very great while I'll get a bag of those little white powdered sugar ones) so don't make them, though Craig likes cruellers and will get a couple every once in a great, great while.

The thing about donuts is they are a lot of work and have to be eaten immediately as they get stale and soggy very quickly after you glaze them. So, if making them for a crowd, make a batch of rich sweet dough, let it rise, deflate and roll out, cut out the donuts and holes, let rise, fry in hot oil, turning 3 times, then glaze over racks with a mix of white corn syrup, sifted 10X sugar and a bit of vanilla extract, and serve. Don't expect to eat any leftovers more than a few hours later because they'll be gross.

I think that US doughnuts are more or less the same as those in the UK. Do you inject them with jam? Here is a straightforward recipe from Paul Hollywood (whose recipes I trust).

Jam doughnuts

I think that US doughnuts are more or less the same as those in the UK. Do you inject them with jam? Here is a straightforward recipe from Paul Hollywood (whose recipes I trust).

Jam doughnuts

I am pretty sure that your donuts are basically the same as ours. And, yes we do have donuts injected with jams and with cream fillings.

CD

Churros are not what Shermie is asking about. They are made of pate choux type dough.

I'm pretty sure Shermie is asking about cake or yeast donuts. I've made yeast donuts several times before and they get fried Shermie. I don't like cake donuts (except once in a very, very, very great while I'll get a bag of those little white powdered sugar ones) so don't make them, though Craig likes cruellers and will get a couple every once in a great, great while.

The thing about donuts is they are a lot of work and have to be eaten immediately as they get stale and soggy very quickly after you glaze them. So, if making them for a crowd, make a batch of rich sweet dough, let it rise, deflate and roll out, cut out the donuts and holes, let rise, fry in hot oil, turning 3 times, then glaze over racks with a mix of white corn syrup, sifted 10X sugar and a bit of vanilla extract, and serve. Don't expect to eat any leftovers more than a few hours later because they'll be gross.

The average donut here from a bakery are not yeast. Churros is passed off as Mexican donut....kind of. And cinnamon sugar coated. Just saaaaaaying.

Russ

The average donut here from a bakery are not yeast. Churros is passed off as Mexican donut....kind of. And cinnamon sugar coated. Just saaaaaaying.

Russ

I've never heard of them being referred to as Mexican donuts. The Cubans make them too, though generally without the cinnamon. The first time I had them was 40 plus years ago along with cafe con leche (1/2 Cuban coffee ((REALLY STRONG and sweet espresso)) and 1/2 warm milk) from a little Cuban snack shack in Little Havana in Miami. I couldn't handle the colada (slang for the Cuban coffee) back then. They weren't eaten for breakfast either, but were a snack, lots of times a very late night snack.

Bakeries here have mostly yeast donuts and very few, if any, cake donuts. Those are mostly sold premade and packaged in groceries

Last edited:
I've never heard of them being referred to as Mexican donuts. The Cubans make them too, though generally without the cinnamon. The first time I had them was 40 plus years ago along with cafe con leche (1/2 Cuban coffee ((REALLY STRONG and sweet espresso)) and 1/2 warm milk) from a little Cuban snack shack in Little Havana in Miami. I couldn't handle the colada (slang for the Cuban coffee) back then. They weren't eaten for breakfast either, but were a snack, lots of times a very late night snack.

Bakeries here have mostly yeast donuts and very few, if any, cake donuts. Those are mostly sold premise and packaged in groceries

Yeah, big difference in "donut" I grew up with the cream and jam donut, no yeast, just soft gooey gold. Nothing like your ones. Churros is sold as Mexican donut, I think from memory a recipe I used even called it that. I guess food does get lost in translation.?? I think?? We have dunkin donuts here, but I won't eat those ones. Just not my type of donuts.

Russ

Russ

Back
Top Bottom