Drinking Glasses always breaking!

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
7:50 PM
A couple years ago we inherited grandma's drinking glasses when she went to live at a retirement home. The glasses are quite old and I have now managed to drop and break most of them. Aside from my clumsy hands, the glass itself is old and not as sturdy as it once was. It is now time for me get some new ones. Do any of you have suggestions of where I could buy quality glasses from?

A couple years ago we inherited grandma's drinking glasses when she went to live at a retirement home. The glasses are quite old and I have now managed to drop and break most of them. Aside from my clumsy hands, the glass itself is old and not as sturdy as it once was. It is now time for me get some new ones. Do any of you have suggestions of where I could buy quality glasses from?

I've bought nice, good quality glasses at places such as Marshall's/Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, Burlington Coat Factory. Of course there are the usual places, but I've found really nice ones at those stores, at discount prices, which is always a plus in my eyes. I tend to stick to plastic cups (called plastic glasses here in East Texas) lately, since I also have a tendency to drop things.

It really depends on what you want them for. We picked up some basic tumblers from our local supermarket and they are both heavy and tough [ok maybe not drop on a tiled floor tough] but not pretty. Good looking glassware always tends to be a bit delicate I'm afraid - it's a bit of a trade off.

Well, I break so many glasses that I've given up buying good ones. For wine I buy these from ASDA supermarket. Perfectly respectable for dinner parties or everyday use. They are 60 pence each (About a dollar) but I can get the round shaped ones even cheaper at 25 pence each (about 40 cents?). So I can merrily break as many as I like as they are so cheap!

glass.jpg

You could have a look in IKEA if you have one near you (I believe there are IKEAs in the USA). They are excellent value and produce some elegant designs. Or what about TKMax? They sometimes have designer glass wear at a good price.

My last set of "crystal" came from Ross "dress" for Less. The American would know this store well I guess. It's like a cheaper version of Marshalls. I don't know if I should trust the glasses but it's no biggie. The price was right. I am happy to pick up glasses anywhere if they look and feel good.

25p? I could work with that,

That was also our problem before. Our glasses were not that cheap so we cannot question the quality when it breaks. Sometime in 1998, a neighbor gifted us with a box of 6 glasses that are thick. So far, only 1 of those had broken by our housemaid so we still have 5. Dropping a glass is not rare particularly when being washed in the sink. But these sturdy glasses are really sturdy and I guess they are the expensive kind. It's just sad that I had disposed of the box so I couldn't remember the brand.

The other problem is that I can't stand it when I don't have matching sets of dishes and drinkware, so it bugs me to no end when one breaks and my set is incomplete. I do have an IKEA near me so I will check them out. They normally have good prices.

My last set of "crystal" came from Ross "dress" for Less. The American would know this store well I guess. It's like a cheaper version of Marshalls. I don't know if I should trust the glasses but it's no biggie. The price was right. I am happy to pick up glasses anywhere if they look and feel good.

25p? I could work with that,

Ah, @winterybella I knew I'd left someone off the list. Ross is another great place to buy discount dishes/glassware and cookware. I've actually got a few pans I bought there that were good deals, and many of my Calphalon pots that I still love were bought at TJ Maxx, back in the 1990s.

I was just at IKEA two weeks ago looking at the glasses. They do have quite an assortment of glasses and they are reasonably priced for sure. They are also pretty simple in design so they would go with most place settings. I am also in need to new glasses and have looked at Marshall's and Winners. Costco online has a nice set of Luminarc glasses that are a good price too. I like larger high ball glasses with a heavy bottom. They aren't that easy to find.

Using the dishwasher seems to cause the glasses to crack and chip so we are always looking for more glasses. One day I wanted something to drink and I wanted a glass not plastic glass, I realized we had no more glass glasses all of them were plastic. I purchased a nice heavy set that have not been broken yet.

Believe it or not, Crate & Barrell has a nice selection of glassware that you can purchase individually at pretty reasonable prices. That said, just about everything else in that store will cost you an arm and a leg, lol.

If you don't mind thick, heavy glasses - Dollar Tree also has a big selection, for a buck a piece obviously. They're not the most elegant looking glasses, but they hold up to being knocked around in your sink, or dropped, pretty well.

I used to get a lot of my glassware sets at Macy's after the holidays, when they mark a bunch of them down for clearance. They may still have some clearance tables/aisles up.

But as others mentioned, Homegoods/Marshalls/TJ Maxx (all owned by the same company) have a great selection of sets at low prices. I usually buy two of the same set so I have some backups when one or two break.

The best glasses I have ever owned came from the Dollar Store just down the street from where I live. They were study and heavy. I have dropped them on the floor a number of time and they have never broken. I buy most of my glasses for every day use there now.

Back
Top Bottom