Drinking hot drinks in hot weather cools you down. True or false?

Gene Gibly

Guru
Local time
2:44 PM
My Grandfather always said that drinking hot drinks in hot weather cooled you down. He said that it made you sweat a little more and the moisture from your sweat made your skin (and you) feel cooler.

Is that just an old wive's tale or do you find that in your experience it's true?

When it's really hot, I often find that a cup of tea is more refreshing than a cold drink, so yes, I'd say that's right. Also, I think fizzy drinks tend to make you even more thirsty.

More energy required to bring a cold drink upto body temperature, which will make you sweat more.

The original explanation does sound odd. You start sweating because your body temperature rises. So yes, you do start sweating but that is because your body temperature is higher than it was before drinking.

However, your body only absorbs water at close to body temperature. Therefore if you need to hydrate yourself quickly you should drink warm water, not cold one. The warm one will be absorbed quicker.

The original explanation does sound odd. You start sweating because your body temperature rises. So yes, you do start sweating but that is because your body temperature is higher than it was before drinking.

However, your body only absorbs water at close to body temperature. Therefore if you need to hydrate yourself quickly you should drink warm water, not cold one. The warm one will be absorbed quicker.
Which is why more energy is used bring the colder water upto body temperature. Thereby increasing the sweating.

Most people drink cold drinks in hot weather because it is refreshing but you are right, it is true that hot drinks cool you down in hot weather. It is hard to drink something hot in hot weather but it does help a lot.

I'm not sure what of drinking hot drinks on hot weather could be myth or fact, but the only I know is that drinking hot beverages or eating something with hot spices makes my stomach feel like burning when weather is hot, so I prefer to avoid them.

Even in cold weather I don't like to drink beverages that are too hot.

I agree that it works. I have drunk hot drinks in the summer and I may have sweated at first, but I did cool down quicker afterwards.

I don't think that drinking hot drinks in hot weather is supposed to cool you down. I mean if a drink is hot, it is giving away that heat to your body and if a drink is cold, your body is giving away heat to balance out the overall temperature of your body thus cooling you down for a while.

It has never worked that way for me. It has always made me hotter if I was hot and then drank something hot too. My Daddy can drink coffee in the middle of the hottest day in July with no problems. Not for me.

I don't have a problem with drinking hot drinks during the summer. I may not like the summer, but I still like to drink a hot cup of tea. I guess it's what I'm use to and that's why it doesn't bother me.

I can see how it could work for some but on a scorching hot day, I wouldn't be able to even consider drinking a hot drink. Just thinking about a cup of tea, would make me feel uncomfortable.

During hot weather I do not drink hot or cold drinks either. I just drink plain water not cold or hot and this already removes away my thirst and brings comfort to my body temperature.

Back
Top Bottom