Dry January

Both mine were unavoidable. I was working in Qatar both times and the country was virtually "dry".

From what I understand, you can get it there, if you know someone, and you don't get caught. Not a place I'd like to live, for more than that reason.

CD

From what I understand, you can get it there, if you know someone, and you don't get caught. Not a place I'd like to live, for more than that reason.

CD

At the time when I was there if you were British and had a work or resident's permit you were allowed to buy up to US$80.00 worth of booze per month on a specific day (allocated to you) in that month from a nominated Government outlet. The allowance was not carried forward should you not buy your full $80.00 worth. $80.00 could buy quite a lot of booze and virtually every Brit who qualified would use up his/her full allowance every month. Not having neither permit my quest was to find a Brit who did and who wasn't a complete pish 'ead.

On my first visit I found a refinery supervisor who's beer drinking wife was holidaying in the UK for a month so that was sorted. Also I found a welding inspector who had a stock of Scotch but only liked a dram now and again. I gave him some help.

On my second visit, it was when the build up to the Kuwait invasion was in force (late 1990) and I discovered that our Lebanese agent had access to a monthly allowance so that was a help (although both him and his wife liked a few so there was not a lot going spare).

Other than that I had to drink "Kaliber".

Last edited:
The only place I've spent any time in where you couldn't get a drink was Libya, when we had a holiday there a few years back. Not even hotels were allowed to sell it, so it was fruit juice all round. You should have seen the desperate looks on the faces of some of our fellow travellers when they boarded the flight back to the UK. If ever a face could say, "Please give me a gin and tonic NOW!" it was those faces.

Back
Top Bottom