Duck eggs - hurrah!

Tobi

Über Member
Local time
9:16 AM
Yesterday I collected the eggs from the farmers' market and only when I arrived home and opened the box discovered they were duck , not hen eggs. Lovely, rich, creamy duck eggs. What a treat! They're delicious boiled - we have slightly bigger egg cups for them - great fried and super in cakes. They make excellent mayonnaise and very good meringues. The only way they don't work quite so well is scrambled, because the whites have a slightly harder texture when cooked. If you haven't tried them, you should - I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. And no, they don't taste of fish!!

I love duck eggs. They are bigger than the chicken eggs. I think the yolk is more creamier and flavorful. I do not know what recipe goes well with duck eggs though. I just either fry or boil them for my breakfast.

I know there are duck eggs around here somewhere but I don't see them or seek them out. I definitely have not had any in my adult life but would not mind trying at least one. The thread has me interested. Has anyone baked with this kind of egg? I have never seen a recipe call for duck eggs.

I love duck eggs but I haven't had them in years. We raised ducks where we were younger so we had ducks eggs more then we had hen eggs back them.
I can still remember how good they were. I should check and see if they have them at the local farmers market the next time I am there.

Ive used duck eggs lots of times when baking cakes. They make beautiful rich yellow cakes. Fantastic.

I'm the weird one here who doesn't like eggs at all. I love baking - and of course eggs are called for in that sort of stuff. But if I was eating a savory dish where I could visibly see egg - no thanks. I'm strange, I know...and chicken eggs scare me enough and they're common! I don't think I would like duck eggs very much! :eek::sick:

Has anyone baked with this kind of egg?
yes - all the time. It really makes little difference to the end product - though if something calls for 6 hens eggs then I would use 5 ducks eggs. Things like scones where I make the batter up to 1/4pt (1 egg and enough milk to make 1/4 pt of mixture) it makes no difference with.

One good way of eating duck eggs is by boiling. We call it Penoy which is normally sold by an ambulant vendor at night. In the olden times, we would buy from the vendor Penoy to serve as our dinner. It is eaten with rice, the food of the poor. Duck eggs is also made into salted eggs. It is boiled in a concoction of water and salt and left in that liquid for 14 days. It is good to eat with bread. But beware because duck eggs is so rich in cholesterol that's why you should eat it sparingly, about once a week maybe.

That's a wonderful surprise to find! Duck eggs are delicious. I love how rich they are in comparison to hen eggs. They are excellent in hot soup! The best way I've had it is topped raw over ramen. I've never tried duck eggs with meringue, but that's going on my list of things to try.

I've only eaten duck eggs that were already cooked and packaged at the Asian grocery. They're so good! My kid and I like to have one on the side with a steaming hot bowl of ramen or rice. I intend to raise a few ducks in the next year or so. I'm looking forward to collecting the eggs for delicious meals. I've always heard they were great for baking because they're so rich.

We have fertilized duck eggs in my place in Asia. You can eat the chick whole! People seem to find it weird or disgusting but it actually tastes pretty good with salt and vinegar and we eat it all the time. We call it Balut, it's pretty famous actually.

Back
Top Bottom