Ingredients for traditional Dutch pancakes:
300 g plain flour
500 ml milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp brown sugar
Pinch of cinnamon and salt
Butter to grease the pan

Method
1) Mix eggs, sugar and cinnamon plus pinch of salt together. Add flour and half the milk, stir until thick and glossy, then add the rest of the milk until you have a runny batter.
2) Heat a skillet until quite hot and let a small knob of butter sizzle to grease the pan. Pour a soup ladle of batter in, and move the skillet until the batter covers the inside of the pan.
3) Wait until bubbles appear in the surface and turn the pancake over. Repeat until you have 7 pancakes. Enjoy with any sweet topping!

Last edited by a moderator:
The basics are the same as American pancakes, but I like the addition of brown sugar and cinnamon. :okay:

CD

Depends on whose making them and their mood. I make both. It's just a matter of thinning out batter or not.
If anyone ever advertises American pancakes here they mean the fluffy ones with baking soda in them. Interesting how different countries perceive each others foods

If anyone ever advertises American pancakes here they mean the fluffy ones with baking soda in them. Interesting how different countries perceive each others foods

It depends on who makes them. My mom's pancakes came from a store bought mix, so they were pretty flat. A good pancake house will make them thick and fluffy.

CD

Never heard of them here, it's a German thing originally , not a Dutch one. But Germans and Dutch people are confused for each other in lots of things outside Europe.

Pennsylvania Dutch Country, an area TR likes to visit, is actually German Immigrants, not Dutch.

"The Pennsylvania Dutch (Pennsylvania Dutch: Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch), also known as Pennsylvania Germans, are an ethnic group native to Pennsylvania and other American states. They descend from Germans who settled in Pennsylvania during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, primarily from the Palatinate, and other German-speaking areas, including Baden-Württemberg, Hesse, Saxony, and Rhineland in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and France's Alsace-Lorraine region."

CD

Pennsylvania Dutch Country, an area TR likes to visit, is actually German Immigrants, not Dutch.

"The Pennsylvania Dutch (Pennsylvania Dutch: Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch), also known as Pennsylvania Germans, are an ethnic group native to Pennsylvania and other American states. They descend from Germans who settled in Pennsylvania during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, primarily from the Palatinate, and other German-speaking areas, including Baden-Württemberg, Hesse, Saxony, and Rhineland in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and France's Alsace-Lorraine region."

CD
Yeah, I am aware. But I suppose you were not intending to tell me that.

They don't speak Dutch either, but Dietsch. It's something I pointed out more often on the forums.

Yeah, I am aware. But I suppose you were not intending to tell me that.

They don't speak Dutch either, but Dietsch. It's something I pointed out more often on the forums.

I was just supporting what you said with an interesting fact. :okay:

CD

Back
Top Bottom