Easiest But Impressive Gourmet Dish to Prepare

Athenagdlyt

Veteran
Local time
5:32 PM
It would be nice to learn at least a few gourmet dishes to prepare for those special times when we wish to impress someone or when we want to do something really special for a loved one. What easy gourmet dishes can you recommend for those who are just starting out with gourmet cooking?

It depends on how much time you have available to you. Making a big Italian dinner, complete with home made "wedding soup" and a home made "sunday sauce" and pasta isn't necessarily "hard", it just takes all day to cook. It's something I would definitely look forward to if someone was making it for me, since so often we have to settle for quick cooking meals, or even worse yet, pre-made stuff or fast food. The slow cooking has some advantages too, since it's very forgiving in terms of "overcooking" - it's kind of hard to accidentally over cook anything. So if your guest(s) are running a little late, it won't ruin everything.

If you are looking for something quicker, a Chicken Marsala or Chicken Picatta is an elegant and quick option. I wouldn't do this for a larger group since you would need a bunch of large pans and it would be tough to coordinate them all being cooked properly. But for one or two people, this is perfect. The only important step in the whole process is making sure you have everything prepped and ready to go before you start cooking, because it all comes together quickly. You cannot stop and go off and chop other ingredients for the next steps while it's cooking. Have your seasoned flour in a plate, your egg dip, your mushrooms and shallots sliced and diced respectively, your fresh parsley chopped, chilled butter on hand, your Marsala wine opened and breathing, plates to put the chicken on to rest while you cook the mushrooms, shallots and make the sauce, sea salt and pepper grinders on hand, a couple of sets of tongs, etc... These are great served with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes. You can make those in advance, and if you invest in a potato ricer, they will come out perfectly smooth with no lumps at all.

Roast chicken seems to be one of the easier ones. I think anything you could just leave in the oven or a crockpot are your best bets since it would afford you to leave it and have enough time to work on those dainty side dishes and decorations, so maybe stews and roasts would be a good bet.

It would be nice to learn at least a few gourmet dishes to prepare for those special times when we wish to impress someone or when we want to do something really special for a loved one. What easy gourmet dishes can you recommend for those who are just starting out with gourmet cooking?
I am in no way a gourmet cook! I love cooking but I stick to the basics mostly. When I do want to impress someone, I always make linguine and clam sauce, either red or white sauce. I make sure I use the whole clams in the shells because it looks fancy. :wink: It's so simple to make but it looks and tastes so good. Our guests think I have slaved for hours over the stove but little do they know it was quick and easy !!!

Danyel :)

Thanks for these suggestions! Roast chicken and foreign chicken dishes add an interesting twist to an otherwise regular meal for guests. I also noticed that adding lemon butter or other butter variations on fish, chicken, and steaks just before serving makes a plain dish look more awesome.
Danyel, your clam pasta also sounds nice as another side dish. Seafood more often looks expensive especially with the right garnishing. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom