Eating Charred Food Is Bad?

Jade

Veteran
Local time
1:51 AM
A few years ago, I started to hear that eating the charred bits in food is bad for you and may cause cancer. I'm wondering if this is a common rumor/knowledge for everyone around the world. I've personally never actively tried to avoid it apart from when it tastes bad like if I accidentally burned my bread, then I'd definitely shave off the blackened bits, but as for charred beef and fat, I cannot resist it because it just tastes so good.

Any opinions on this? Is this just a rumor? Do you follow it or do you ignore it?

Here we go again. If you listen to the "nutritional experts" they each have their own views and opinions. Basically if you put together everything that the different ones say, you can't put anything in your mouth or you will instantly suffer a horrible and painful death.

I really wonder how people managed to stay alive before these "experts" told them what is dangerous and what is not.

I always eat charred food - but only to the extent that few parts of the food themselves get charred. I'm not someone to eat charred food when most of it is actually charred. Not because people keep on telling me it's bad and all, but because I'm not able to get the food cooked to the quality I really like, haha.

Sometimes I eat charred food and even cannot avoid it especially if it really taste good. There are instances when I put rice on the pan while the charred food is still there and together mix it and eat.

I don't know about cancer, nothing has been proven yet, but regardless of the potential health risks it tastes hideous! So no, I do not eat charred food.

I don't know if eating real charred food is bad. However, I saw a segment on Dr. Oz a long time ago that explained how companies use chemicals to create a charred effect to make the food look better. So he recommends double checking the packaging to ensure that the appearance is the result of the cooking process instead of chemicals used to enhance the appearance.

I did read the same thing MoniqueS and it does make sense to me. As far as eating it I think its a matter of moderation.

Many of our ancestors had fire to cook with for as long as there has been cooking. Those would be a lot of years before these studies. Basically, if I'd met or read of an actual documented death from someone eating charred food, then I might second-guess it. Until then, I'll keep enjoying the burnt crispy delicious bits for as long as they're delicious. Granted, sometimes there's too much char for my personal tastes and I just personally don't like it that way...but isn't activated charcoal good for filtering out poison?

Back
Top Bottom