Eating out for breakfast

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
11:13 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
How often would you say you eat out (at a restaurant or café) for breakfast?

Here in Japan, it's honestly pretty hard to eat out for breakfast. There's a bit of a culture here of places only opening around 10am -- so that means that it's a bit late for a traditional breakfast hour - it can be okay for brunch, but again I would say that for expats it can be hard when a lot of us expect typical western breakfasts with eggs and bacon and pancakes and things like that.

When I lived in Australia and the States, there was a pretty great breakfast culture in both of those places and I had no problem finding a cute café or restaurant that served breakfast food. Back then I would probably have breakfast out with my husband or a friend once a week.

What about you? How often do you have breakfast outside the home?

I probably eat out for breakfast once a month or so. I do buy coffee quite often. When we are on vacation we tend to eat out more often. Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out for.

I have eaten breakfast out when I was visiting another country and staying at a hotel. Other than that, I do not eat breakfast outside of home. We do have restaurants here that serve breakfast though, and some of the supermarkets offer take-a-way breakfasts. My sister told me she was invited out to a breakfast at a restaurant on the morning of New Year's Day, but that she decided not to go since she would be up late on Old Year's Night and preferred to relax at home the next morning. However, the idea of having breakfast out at a restaurant on New Year's Day sounds like a great idea to me. It seems like a nice way to start the new year.

I probably eat out for breakfast once a month or so. I do buy coffee quite often. When we are on vacation we tend to eat out more often. Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out for.

Oh yes, if takeout coffee counts I would have to revise my score, I think! I feel like that's my treat for going to run errands and so forth! Gets me motivated to get out of the house!

When we have extra money, we would be eating our for breakfast during weekend. Our haunt is the buffet breakfast offered by a restaurant by the seaside (it is inside a park). With the free flowing coffee and juice, the food has rice and bread plus an array of dishes and desserts that includes eggs, omelets of any kind, bacon and other breakfast meats, pasta, pancake. However, it may not be considered breakfast because the restaurant opens at 8am so we call it brunch, a mix of breakfast and lunch.

I don't eat breakfast out much in this area because there are no good breakfast places. Also, I don't usually have anyone to go with. There used to be a coffeehouse with a good breakfast but that place has closed. The few times I have been out for breakfast here I wasn't impressed...so I don't make it a habit. Norther Virginian is great for breakfasts though, and the Richmond area has wonderful breakfast places too.

I don't eat breakfast out much in this area because there are no good breakfast places. Also, I don't usually have anyone to go with. There used to be a coffeehouse with a good breakfast but that place has closed. The few times I have been out for breakfast here I wasn't impressed...so I don't make it a habit. Norther Virginian is great for breakfasts though, and the Richmond area has wonderful breakfast places too.

I often wonder how certain places have a brilliant breakfast culture and other places seem to have none of it!

Before I started working from home, I used to once or twice a week on my way to work. Our local BP station sells some killer bagel breakfast sandwiches freshly made, and at a reasonable price. Plus they are huge. Even better, they are sitting under a heat lamp when you walk in, so you can just grab them and go, no waiting in some long line for your order to be made. They're actually better than what you would get at a place like Dunkin Donuts.

Another favorite would be a Lox, Cream Cheese and Onion bagel at any of our neaby Jewish deli's. I don't often treat myself to Lox, so I will reward myself from time to time with it.

There are a few places I would not recommend for breakfast though: Taco Bell, Steak n Shake, Dunkin Donuts, and Subway. All were absolutely awful when I tried them. Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts stuff tasted so weird and processed and salty I could barely finish them. Plus half the ingredients were barely warmed through in the microwave. I could have just bought a box of frozen Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches for less, that would have tasted better. Steak & Shake's breakfast tacos are pathetically small with hardly anything in them, and they tasted awful. Their breakfast sandwiches tasted like they were cooked on a grill that had just made several hundred hamburgers, and their home fries were mushy, grey and rancid tasting. Subway's breakfast stuff is also pathetic - everything is pre-cooked and processed. All they do is warm it up in the microwave.

Breakfast culture is growing rapidly in the uk ,with restaurants having help your self buffets to establishments that have hash ,poached eggs and breakfast gravey,and more light pis he'd egg dishes with chorizo and butter sauces

Breakfast is the one meal I absolutely hate eating out for. I just want a bowl of cereal (a certain cereal at that) served with almond milk. I don't want to spend £10 to have that 'privelidge' and I'm certainly not paying that much either. If I can I will bale on having breakfast when we stay somewhere and either eat it in the room or in our car. The only exception was just before Christmas when we were in Bristol and Penzance. In Bristol the is a community cycling cafe which is vegetarian with a strong vegan influence so breakfast is there to support them and because I happen to like the place. In Penzance we stayed in a vegan B&B so breakfast was wonderful and like the evening meal we paid for, absolutely excellent.

I often order the 'all day' breakfasts offered at many different places. I love breakfast, for lunch and dinner as well. :)
Also, over here in Canada, McDonald's breakfast time ends at 10 am. But, if you can get to one before the fact, they make a mean-@ss hashbrown patty! Wouldn't advise eating anything else that they make, however. Ick.

Breakfast is the one meal I absolutely hate eating out for. I just want a bowl of cereal (a certain cereal at that) served with almond milk. I don't want to spend £10 to have that 'privelidge' and I'm certainly not paying that much either. If I can I will bale on having breakfast when we stay somewhere and either eat it in the room or in our car. The only exception was just before Christmas when we were in Bristol and Penzance. In Bristol the is a community cycling cafe which is vegetarian with a strong vegan influence so breakfast is there to support them and because I happen to like the place. In Penzance we stayed in a vegan B&B so breakfast was wonderful and like the evening meal we paid for, absolutely excellent.
Yeah, I hear that! Paid $12.95 in Canadian dollars the other day at a 'Tutti Frutti' establishment, for cold French toast. The maple syrup was real (I expected it to be, I do live in the land of the Maple tree!), however, I had to pay an extra 75 cents for about a tablespoon of it, and it was served to me in some sort of package that resembled a ketchup-packet. Was very dissapointed!

We rarely eat out for breakfast as who wants to get up earlier to leave their house just to eat? If anything we tend to order food and eat it back at home. Kick our feet up watching some Netflix of Crunchyroll while eating a McGriddle that we know will give us heartburn right after. In all we are living the good life at the moment.

Breakfast for us is usually varied depending on the day. We almost never eat breakfast out. We had breakfast at Denny's a few times last year but it was definitely something I would do only a few times. I did not enjoy the grease bombs. I'm sure there are much butter breakfast places around, but we just have a preference for home-cooking. My hubby will occasionally grab a breakfast sandwich from McDonald when he's in a huge rush, but for the most part I make our breakfasts.

Back
Top Bottom