Eating rice that has been left out

MrMajeika

Local time
9:31 PM
Here's me complaining about my mother in law again. She said we are having fish and rice for lunch and I know she made rice yesterday but it was left sat out in the pan covered for a long time I can't remember how long but I swear it felt like several hours. I know this is a big no no with rice and I am pretty sure she is just going to reheat it and I'm really scared to eat it but I feel rude to say anything.

She does it with other food too, roasted meat that was left in the oven all night instead of the fridge but I ate it the next day and was fine. I'm just scared that rice is a lot worse and could make me quite ill if it contains any bacteria right?

Yes, there is a bacteria that can grow in rice that is left out. There's even a name for the illness, leftover rice syndrome.

Here's me complaining about my mother in law again. She said we are having fish and rice for lunch and I know she made rice yesterday but it was left sat out in the pan covered for a long time I can't remember how long but I swear it felt like several hours
I've personally never had any issues with leaving cooked rice in a sieve in a covered pan to cool to room temperature before eating it. Usually several hours over the warm ring before using it.

Would I do it with rice in a hot humid country such as India, or with water that was untreated and needed treating, no. But the UK in winter using tap water that's treated beyond belief (I used to work in a quality testing water plant) and then boiled for however long, yes I would and hace done and still do. A few hours really shouldn't be an issue.

I also will happily keep a rice salad in the fridge for 3 days eating it cold each day. And we've a rosemary courgette rice cake to make today. That also has a lot of egg in it. I'll keep that for 3 days in the fridge once it has cooled down, reheating a slice each each night, but 3 days is my maximum with rice.

However, it is entirely up to you, but in a first world country with treated water, I'm much less worried about rice nowadays than 20 years ago. I've not had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom