Eating Weeds

By way of coincidence, I moved a tarpaulin in the garden on Saturday to find this growing underneath:
View attachment 23277
I had completely forgotten that this had been planted last year. Doh! I feel a pesto coming on...

I miss wild garlic. I don't think it's made it to Australia. I'll have to check because the conditions could easily suit it.

Ours is coming along nicely

P_20190420_110255.jpg

@CraigC
I am serious about advice on swamp foraging.
Please share.

I'm sure there are many plants in the swamps where you live, maybe even some of the same we have in the Everglades. My suggestion would be to learn from an experience forager familiar with your area. Our native apple snails are edible, but I have no idea if any of the snails in your area are. Also it has been many years since I have foraged and I probably would have trouble identifying some of the plants.

In the 1960's my mother made dandelion salad, this was anything you would put in a salad plus a good handful of green dandelion leaves. Chop this finely and I mean fine. put all into a glass bowl, add enough malt vinegar to cover add one tablespoon sugar, leave to stand for an hour. Serve with Spam or corn beef (times were hard then)

Chop this finely and I mean fine. put all into a glass bowl, add enough malt vinegar to cover add one tablespoon sugar, leave to stand for an hour.

This reminds me so much of a salad my Dad used to make - he came from Wiltshire and his Mum used to make it. Dandelions with lettuce all chopped up with malt vinegar and sugar - he also added a little cream off the top of the milk.

Back
Top Bottom