Eating with unfamiliar utensils

British afternoon tea etiquette | VisitBritain

My read for the between classes break right now.
It is good to know!
Any tips any of you might want to add?
There's a video out there someone of two Millennial-aged Americans reporting on afternoon tea in London and speaking with a tea expert while having afternoon tea - sort of a demonstration for us dumb Yanks.

At one point, while explaining something, the kid casually picks up a scone and separates top from bottom with a fork, and though he does his best to hide it, the British tea wonk does get a look on his face, for a passing moment, of horror mixed with disappointment.

We invited my brother and his wife over for afternoon tea once, and they love anything different and interesting like that, and they'd only ever seen afternoon tea in period English dramas on TV, so as a joke, and to make it fun, I sent them all kinds of tea-related things; like one day, I sent them a video of "English Tea" by McCartney, another day, I sent them a very formal e-vite, another day, I sent the menu, and I also sent this two-page list of do's and don't's with regards to afternoon tea.

They had a ball with it! They showed up in their best Spring clothes, and made every effort to stir their tea the right way, and to correct each other for mistakes, "Oh, dear one, I must say, please do not hold your pinkie finger out in such a dreadful manner...what will the neighbors say?!" - things like that. It was a lot of fun!

showed up in their best Spring clothes, and made every effort to stir their tea the right way, and to correct each other for mistakes, "Oh, dear one, I must say, please do not hold your pinkie finger out in such a dreadful manner...what will the neighbors say?!" - things like that. It was a lot of fun!
Brilliant! It was kind of you to educate them! How is anyone expected to know, if not through education and or personal experience? For us, non Uk residents...love the diverse traditions!
I think I will make an educational game out of this...for my kid and me over the spring break...she might find it useful and fun, me too!
Oh yes, and the cream or jam first...what do you prefer?
I might go with jam first...

Oh yes, and the cream or jam first...what do you prefer?
I might go with jam first...
It depends on whether you see the clotted cream as a more butter-like thing or as a more whipped cream-like thing.

It reminds me more of butter, so I put it on first.

Back
Top Bottom