Eating with unfamiliar utensils

What is that?
Just like chicken fried steak,,,, but with Lobster.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP_kIFj6lY

I don't suppose that hands really count as "unfamiliar utensils" but a lot of food in many parts of Africa is eaten with the hands. One is expected to use the right hand for eating, which was something I had to keep in mind because I am left-handed and using my left hand seemed much more natural. There was one time when I felt really accepted when I was in Ethiopia. I had been invited to a family meal and the chap who invited me knew that I was left-handed and gave me special permission to eat with my left hand. It's strange, but a little thing like that left me feeling really chuffed.

I don't suppose that hands really count as "unfamiliar utensils" but a lot of food in many parts of Africa is eaten with the hands. One is expected to use the right hand for eating, which was something I had to keep in mind because I am left-handed and using my left hand seemed much more natural. There was one time when I felt really accepted when I was in Ethiopia. I had been invited to a family meal and the chap who invited me knew that I was left-handed and gave me special permission to eat with my left hand. It's strange, but a little thing like that left me feeling really chuffed.
I'm booked to fly with Ethiopian airlines later this year. Should that trip happen, I think I will try eating with my hands on the plane :laugh:

I can manage with chopsticks, but that's about it, and it takes concentration, like I can't pick up food and talk at the same time. Usually I'm good with hand/finger tasks, but just can't seem to "get" chopsticks.

I'm booked to fly with Ethiopian airlines later this year. Should that trip happen, I think I will try eating with my hands on the plane :laugh:
Here's a link to my personal website and a short description of some Ethiopian adventures if you want an "alternative" view. I should add that I was based in Mekelle, which perhaps isn't the greatest place to visit right now given the problems in the Tigray region.

Ethiopia – duckholiday

Here's a link to my personal website and a short description of some Ethiopian adventures if you want an "alternative" view. I should add that I was based in Mekelle, which perhaps isn't the greatest place to visit right now given the problems in the Tigray region.

Ethiopia – duckholiday
Thank you!!! I'm not going to Ethiopia sadly, that will be another trip.

Thank you!!! I'm not going to Ethiopia sadly, that will be another trip.
My mistake...I thought you were intending to travel to Ethiopia.

I've used Ethiopian Airlines more times that I could count. To get from Assab to Asmara required a flight (unless you fancied three or four days going across the desert in a bus). The plane ran three times a week on a triangular route, Addis-Asmara-Assab. I always found Ethiopian Airlines pretty good - I believe they have one of the best ratings for African airlines.

My mistake...I thought you were intending to travel to Ethiopia.

I've used Ethiopian Airlines more times that I could count. To get from Assab to Asmara required a flight (unless you fancied three or four days going across the desert in a bus). The plane ran three times a week on a triangular route, Addis-Asmara-Assab. I always found Ethiopian Airlines pretty good - I believe they have one of the best ratings for African airlines.
I wish I was going to Ethiopia. I have a voucher from Ethiopian Airlines that expires March 19, but the actual flight can take place until Jan 2022. My reasoning was that things aren't likely to be normal until Summer, and I'd like to push this trip as far in time as possible but winter has been the worst season for Covid, so I booked my trip for October and I chose the Seychelles because it has low population density and, being a country that lives from tourism, they're not likely to demand travelers to be vaccinated (at the rate we're going I don't think I'll be vaccinated this year) or impose a mandatory 14 days quarantine. There's still a big possibility this trip won't happen and I'd fancy a more "adventurous" destination, but here I am. Anyway I'm looking forward to fly on Ethiopian and still have plenty of time to decide if I want to try Ethiopian food on the plane (I'm curious about the injera bread but I doubt the one served on the plane will be any good).

I wish I was going to Ethiopia. I have a voucher from Ethiopian Airlines that expires March 19, but the actual flight can take place until Jan 2022. My reasoning was that things aren't likely to be normal until Summer, and I'd like to push this trip as far in time as possible but winter has been the worst season for Covid, so I booked my trip for October and I chose the Seychelles because it has low population density and, being a country that lives from tourism, they're not likely to demand travelers to be vaccinated (at the rate we're going I don't think I'll be vaccinated this year) or impose a mandatory 14 days quarantine. There's still a big possibility this trip won't happen and I'd fancy a more "adventurous" destination, but here I am. Anyway I'm looking forward to fly on Ethiopian and still have plenty of time to decide if I want to try Ethiopian food on the plane (I'm curious about the injera bread but I doubt the one served on the plane will be any good).
Injera is certainly meant to be eaten by hand. It is the basis of what they call "fasting food" in Ethiopia and Eritrea whereby you share a big plate with other people and food is spread on top of the injera. I'm not that keen on it - it's not too bad when it has been freshly made, but it goes rather vinegary after a while and at its worst can have the appearance (and probably taste) of carpet underlay.

I can use chopsticks now without having to think about it, though certainly not with any proficiency.

I may have related this before but a couple of years ago we stayed in Hong Kong at a hotel which catered for most tastes at breakfast, and I was fascinated to watch a Chinese couple see off a full English breakfast with chopsticks, it was a serious lesson in dexterity.
I am completely hopeless with chopsticks. I was in Hong Kong a few years ago and one night dined alone in the hotel. The meal came with chopsticks and the waitress was surprised and then highly amused at my attempts to use them. She came over and did her best to teach me to no avail. In the end she brought me come cutlery.

Chopsticks? Perhaps...depending on the company, in a post Covid era...with some practise it might work. All the local Chinese restaurants as far as I remember gave us a choice, so perhaps solid pieces yes...
Spaghetti? I still do the fork twirl on a spoon.
I am ok with both fork knife and fork only methods...
Once upon a time there was this very posh man I went out with, to dinner, was triple nervous, the overall, the possible embarassment in some eating method, and the impression I'd make upon his daughter. It went fine.

Nowadays, if there was a very formal professional or other related dinner coming up, I'd see a yt video just to make sure I remember all, but would try not to stress too much, as it kills the moment and enjoyment...

For all other occasions I' d prefer an informal and friendly and open setting...definitely would wish the locals would educate me on hows...

Salad leaf, to cut fold or none? 😁

Salad Etiquette | Table Manners | Etiquette Scholar

Back
Top Bottom