Eating with unfamiliar utensils

One thing that strikes me though is how high the tray-tables are in relation to the body. They come to mid or upper part of the chest. I could not comfortably eat from something so high. Normal height for a dining table is around waist height.
Yes that struck me too - it doesn't look like a comfortable eating position.

We have a dining table in the kitchen and we eat at it every evening. In our old house we used to occasionally eat in the lounge in front of the TV but decided when we moved that we wouldn't do it any longer. And we don't have a TV in the kitchen either - though we do often have the radio or other music on in the background.

We are okay with ours it's very white and stark , a bit like the dentists. I bought everything as cheap as chips from the previous owners. Croatians in general put the washing machine in the bathroom. I think it's a good idea.
Your kitchen is a bit like ours: mostly white (I think I shared a photo of our kitchen on here a couple of years ago). I like it because its bright and clean looking. I like that your kitchen is nice and uncluttered :okay:

I think putting the washing machine in the bathroom is very common in continental Europe - I've seen it in many countries. But its against UK building regs to have a power socket in the bathroom unless its more than 3m from the water (and how many people have a bathroom that big?!)

and how many people have a bathroom that big?!)
We did when we lived near you in the Alice Holt woods across from Frencham Ponds. This was our kitchen in North Wales.The hatch behind the fruit bowl was the serving hatch for the dinning room
1604491102245.png
1604491128778.png
1604491155299.png
1604491193858.png

Top photo...is that a toaster oven with a stove top (hot plates) on top?
Yes I bought it because it had a rotisserie in it. The Bompani range had one also, but unless we needed to cook 4/5 chickens or a suckling pig we used this below. I never used the hot plates as I prefer gas.
1604492127006.png

Yes I bought it because it had a rotisserie in it. The Bompani range had one also, but unless we needed to cook 4/5 chickens or a suckling pig we used this below. I never used the hot plates as I prefer gas.View attachment 49819

That's really cool.

I prefer cooking with gas over electric too. I'm in an apartment now and hate my electric stove. I'm still learning how not to burn food. ;-0

That's really cool.

I prefer cooking with gas over electric too. I'm in an apartment now and hate my electric stove. I'm still learning how not to burn food. ;-0
Here's a little tip for you that helped me tremendously:

You know how you frequently need to raise things to a medium-high or high heat, and then drop it back to medium? For example, a lot of soup recipes will say something like, "Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes."

Well, as you know with electric, it's not instantaneous when you cut the heat back, and it keeps boiling and boiling for possibly several minutes, as the element cools down, and can lead to overcooking/burning things.

What I do now is (assuming I have a free burner) as soon as I start cooking, I set a second burner to, say, medium, and then, when I need to instantly move from a higher heat to a lower one, I just slide it over to the other burner and finish it there.

I got that after griping about burning something, and telling my wife, "You know, Mom always cooked on a wood stove, and just moved things around from the hot side to the less-hot side, and managed the heat that way," and it occurred to me that I could sort of replicate that on an electric stove.

Here's a little tip for you that helped me tremendously:

You know how you frequently need to raise things to a medium-high or high heat, and then drop it back to medium? For example, a lot of soup recipes will say something like, "Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes."

Well, as you know with electric, it's not instantaneous when you cut the heat back, and it keeps boiling and boiling for possibly several minutes, as the element cools down, and can lead to overcooking/burning things.

What I do now is (assuming I have a free burner) as soon as I start cooking, I set a second burner to, say, medium, and then, when I need to instantly move from a higher heat to a lower one, I just slide it over to the other burner and finish it there.

I got that after griping about burning something, and telling my wife, "You know, Mom always cooked on a wood stove, and just moved things around from the hot side to the less-hot side, and managed the heat that way," and it occurred to me that I could sort of replicate that on an electric stove.

That makes sense. I will try that. Thanks!

Your kitchen is a bit like ours: mostly white (I think I shared a photo of our kitchen on here a couple of years ago). I like it because its bright and clean looking. I like that your kitchen is nice and uncluttered :okay:

I think putting the washing machine in the bathroom is very common in continental Europe - I've seen it in many countries. But its against UK building regs to have a power socket in the bathroom unless its more than 3m from the water (and how many people have a bathroom that big?!)

All electrical outlets here in kitchens, bathrooms and outdoors have to be GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interruption) outlets. They trip in a fraction of a second if anything causes a ground fault.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqzsMzM8y8

CD

All electrical outlets here in kitchens, bathrooms and outdoors have to be GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interruption) outlets. They trip in a fraction of a second if anything causes a ground fault.

CD
Yes we have similar (the same?) - from what I can tell, a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) is what we call a Residual Current Device (RCD). All our sockets are individually switched, and all the circuits (power and lighting) are each protected by an RCD within the main consumer unit. But in addition there are also special regulations when it comes to kitchens and bathrooms due to the potential presence of water.

At the Henry Ford Museum they have the Eagle Tavern, a 100 year old restaurant. Changed little if any over the past century.
It serves only locally sourced food in an early 20th century manner. Beer hall tables.

Salt and pepper was in bowls and the end of your fork handle was a small meniscus which to scoop them with.

DD5D40D9-1E3D-4763-ADBD-7DD8889AD4EA.jpeg
B604689D-B884-4FD9-87C9-A6270B70F2A1.jpeg

A nice restaurant but some visitors didn’t like the picnic table style beer hall seating rubbing elbows with strangers.
Really out of their element and they were so uncomfortable.

Food was magnificent but on my right was a fun couple and the Trout they ordered didn’t sit well.
Throw this back into the pond” they told our server.

BCA05F6F-4AC2-409E-B8EC-92AF8F7FA574.jpeg

Last edited:
At the Henry Ford Museum they have the Eagle Tavern, a 100 year old restaurant. Changed little if any over the past century.
It serves only locally sourced food in an early 20th century manner. Beer hall tables.

Salt and pepper was in bowls and the end of your fork handle was a small meniscus which to scoop them with.

View attachment 52785View attachment 52784

A nice restaurant but some visitors didn’t like the picnic table style beer hall seating rubbing elbows with strangers.
Really out of their element and they were so uncomfortable.

Food was magnificent but on my right was a fun couple and the Trout they ordered didn’t sit well.
Throw this back into the pond” they told our server.

View attachment 52786

That communal eating is somewhat common at Central Texas BBQ joints. Long tables with sauces, rolls of paper towels, and loaves of white bread on the tables.

Great way to meet people.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX

CD

That communal eating is somewhat common at Central Texas BBQ joints. Long tables with sauces, rolls of paper towels, and loaves of white bread on the tables.

Great way to meet people.

View attachment 52787
Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX

CD

Its not very common in the UK but I think there are some places like this. There was a great place in Holborn, London many many decades ago which made top notch food but served self service. La Tavola Calda was I think the name. They had tables like this.

First thing I thought when I saw that photo was - everyone in the photo is overweight! Sorry...

Back
Top Bottom