Eating with unfamiliar utensils

I also HATE eating with my hands. When I do have to, I seize the opportunity and eat like a savage!

Here in Portugal it's customary to eat sardines and shrimps with your hands, but I eat both with fork and knife. A couple moons ago I had an ex who made fun of me for eating shrimp with knife and fork. Once we went for dinner at the house of my mom's boyfriend family, and boiled shrimps was the appetizer, and he asked me to peel his shrimps for him because he didn't want to eat with his hands in front of the others :laugh:

Eating with my hands:
  • Chicken wings (and usually, drumsticks)
  • Sandwiches
  • Burgers
  • Pizza
  • Bone in BBQ ribs
  • Food at Ethiopian restaurants
  • Raw veggies to dip into dips
  • Fresh apples, pears, plums, grapes
  • I am sure there are a few more ...

We couldn't befriend in real life, though, as we'd be in constant battle over who has found the nicest Christmas plates.
Well, I'll gladly concede on the plates - mine came from Walmart, so I think that makes you my sister from another mister! :laugh:

Maybe you're thinking of flimsy little folding tables, that tremble at a mere glance? Our tables aren't like that. Ours our very heavy solid wood, built to last (and the price reflected that). We've had the same tables since 2004 (I think), and they're still as good as new.

It was the word trays. Trays (to me) mean something flat on which you carry out food or drinks so balancing one on your knees would be precarious. You have now called them tables which is different. How do the tables attach to the chairs? :scratchhead:

Maybe a photo is required!

It was the word trays. Trays (to me) mean something flat on which you carry out food or drinks so balancing one on your knees would be precarious. You have now called them tables which is different. How do the tables attach to the chairs? :scratchhead:

I have this which is a bit more stable than a regular tray but still too unstable for my liking
1604339388590.png

Well, that may be the issue. The technical name is tray table, and they usually come in sets of four:

They're very sturdy, I could sit on that (and have done), no wiggling around when you're cutting your food, plenty of room for dinnerware, all that.

I was born and raised in the Midwest (USA) so I don't know if this is true around our country or not. Here, it is considered rude for an adult to pre-cut their food. It is expected for us to do the switch with each bite. The only time it is not considered rude is when pre-cutting food for someone unable to use the knife and fork technique (ie. child, elderly, mentally or physically disabled person).

I don't know about rude, but it is weird for an adult to pre-cut all of their meat before eating. It is something parents do for their young children.

CD

That's one thing I very rarely do...eat with my hands. Sometimes, it's unavoidable, but if there's a way around it, I'll find it. I don't like the sensation of food on my hands.

Some things are just eaten with one's hands. BBQ ribs, fried chicken -- sandwiches, obviously. In New York, eating pizza with a knife and fork can get you arrested, I believe.

CD

I commit what some see as a cardinal sin in that I usually eat pizza with a knife and fork.

I also eat ribs with a fork, and messy sandwiches, like sloppy joes, with utensils, and chicken on the bone.

About the only thing I always eat with my hands (not counting potato chips/crisps) is hot wings, and I think I could manage those with a knife and fork, so I'm making no promises for the future. :laugh:

When I was in Napoli, eating pizza, the locals were using knives and forks, so I did, too. In the US, not a chance.

Eating ribs with a knife and fork in Texas would make you the center of attention, and not in a good way.

I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to eat chicken wings with a knife and fork. Plus, you would leave half the meat behind.

CD

THE ONLY times I have ever eaten in front of the TV growing up was when there was a seriously major news announcement. I remember vividly my parents and I doing that during the Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba - I was a little kid then and remembered nothing else about that but that we were actually in FRONT of the TV for the first time.

There were some assassinations later on, and Dad and I did have the TV on after 9//11 - but for me, I just don't watch TV during dinner unless it's critical in the world.

(Unfortunately, now that I live alone, I sometimes eat in front of the laptop.)

If I sit at the kitchen dining table, I either have guests, or have my MacBook. I often eat at the desk in my office.

CD

Well, that may be the issue. The technical name is tray table, and they usually come in sets of four:

They're very sturdy, I could sit on that (and have done), no wiggling around when you're cutting your food, plenty of room for dinnerware, all that.

But you can't get your knees under it can you? In which case you must be leaning forward in the armchair to reach the food, cut it etc. That would seem to defeat the purpose of eating in a comfy armchair. Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Eating ribs with a knife and fork in Texas would make you the center of attention, and not in a good way.

I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to eat chicken wings with a knife and fork. Plus, you would leave half the meat behind.

Picking up ribs is perfectly acceptable in the UK as is picking up chicken wings.

But you can't get your knees under it can you? In which case you must be leaning forward in the armchair to reach the food, cut it etc. That would seem to defeat the purpose of eating in a comfy armchair. Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Tray tables are not easy to eat from. We had them, when I was married, but I didn't like using them. If you are sitting in a big, well-stuffed sofa, like mine have always been, you really can't eat comfortably.

CD

Tray tables are not easy to eat from. We had them, when I was married, but I didn't like using them. If you are sitting in a big, well-stuffed sofa, like mine have always been, you really can't eat comfortably.

CD

Well, in order to make a considered assessment, what we really need is a photo of TastyReuben sitting in his comfy armchair and eating from the tray table :D

Back
Top Bottom