Eels and smoked eels

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:28 PM
[Mod.Edit: posts moved to start new thread]

Smoked eel is unbelievably good. Very sweet and great with cheese board. My friend catches his own eels from lake ellesmere. Then smokes it himself. It's by far the best ever. I get mine free, his wife loves my gerkins. We do swaps.
I don't know about it done in oil though. Mine is dry and frozen. It has a wee layer of fat on it that is the best part.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have had an opinion about eels until I used them in this recipe. Now, I'm a huge fan. I am interested in finding smoked eel that's not in oil...the amount in the can was excessive, though I did use it on the pasta.

You will prolly have to find a home smoker guy that lives near lakes. My guy is old style. He uses Manuka wood. It's hard to find here, it used to be in my local fish shop. Havnt seen it in there for 10 years. Good luck, you will love it better.

Mg, my cheese board is 3 or 4 cheeses, masdaam havarti aged cheddar and maybe a cream cheese. Sliced pickled curry onions, sliced gerkins, pate, a range of crackers, smoked eel, salami, tomato relish and anything else that would suit the platter.

Russ

It seems I can buy smoked eel here direct from a smokery . But its not cheap!

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 09.37.39.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 09.35.48.png

You will prolly have to find a home smoker guy that lives near lakes. My guy is old style. He uses Manuka wood. It's hard to find here, it used to be in my local fish shop. Havnt seen it in there for 10 years. Good luck, you will love it better.
I do own a smoker, but using it requires a bit of planning (such as finding a block of time to do it that can't be interrupted). I will have to look into this, since the weather is nice here.

I was in Arbroath back in '95 - had smokies for lunch there. Lovely dish!

Arbroath was the unexpected highlight (for many reasons) of that summer's trip to Scotland. An unsung treasure of a place, as far as I am concerned.

I too loved it there, Billy's Connolly has mentioned it on a doco. So I was prepared.

Russ

I too loved it there, Billy's Connolly has mentioned it on a doco. So I was prepared.

Russ

I was in Scotland for two weeks, and I had one free, unplanned day. I opted to take a train ride up the coast, and pick one town to get off at and explore. I had a minor amount of info about the towns the trains would pass - I was so glad I didn't get off at (I think it was Dundee), and opted for the stop or two after, at Arbroath.

Explored the lighthouse, stopped for lunch at a place by the shore (where I had the smokies), went into town, wandered the ruins of the Cathedral, was actually in the town proper when a parade came by celebrating the 50th anniversary of the end of the WWII (European front) war.

Walked two miles to a setting for a smaller church and outbuildings, one of which housed a museum of Pictish artifacts - a fascination of mine.

Beautiful day, wonderful weather. Stopped at an Indian restaurant on my way back to the train that evening. Lovely town, full of heritage.

Back
Top Bottom