Eels and smoked eels

Discussion in 'Rice, Pasta, Pulses and Grains' started by rascal, May 14, 2019.

1. rascal

rascal Senior Member

[Mod.Edit: posts moved to start new thread]

Smoked eel is unbelievably good. Very sweet and great with cheese board. My friend catches his own eels from lake ellesmere. Then smokes it himself. It's by far the best ever. I get mine free, his wife loves my gerkins. We do swaps.
    I don't know about it done in oil though. Mine is dry and frozen. It has a wee layer of fat on it that is the best part.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

That is most unusual to my ears - fish on a cheese board! I will now have to see if I can obtain smoked eel.

3. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

I wouldn't have had an opinion about eels until I used them in this recipe. Now, I'm a huge fan. I am interested in finding smoked eel that's not in oil...the amount in the can was excessive, though I did use it on the pasta.

TodayInTheKitchen and rascal like this.
  4. rascal

rascal Senior Member

You will prolly have to find a home smoker guy that lives near lakes. My guy is old style. He uses Manuka wood. It's hard to find here, it used to be in my local fish shop. Havnt seen it in there for 10 years. Good luck, you will love it better.

Mg, my cheese board is 3 or 4 cheeses, masdaam havarti aged cheddar and maybe a cream cheese. Sliced pickled curry onions, sliced gerkins, pate, a range of crackers, smoked eel, salami, tomato relish and anything else that would suit the platter.

Russ

5. rascal

rascal Senior Member

As an aside on eels, they migrate to tonga from here then come back later, the lake where my friend gets his is tidal and runs into the sea at times. It's also a Great Lake for duck shooting. lake ellesmere.

Russ

6. morning glory

It seems I can buy smoked eel here direct from a smokery . But its not cheap!

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 09.37.39.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 09.35.48.png

7. The Late Night Gourmet

:eek:

TodayInTheKitchen likes this.
  8. The Late Night Gourmet

I do own a smoker, but using it requires a bit of planning (such as finding a block of time to do it that can't be interrupted). I will have to look into this, since the weather is nice here.

TodayInTheKitchen and rascal like this.
  9. rascal

rascal Senior Member

I bought some nice smokies when last in Arbroath, they might do them as well.???

Russ

10. morning glory

I think Arbroath smokies have to be produced in Arbroath - they have PGI (Protected Geographical Indication). I could no doubt get them on-line from Arbroath...

.... here we go:

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 11.04.12.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 11.07.43.png

rascal and TodayInTheKitchen like this.
  11. rascal

rascal Senior Member

That's where I had my first ones. Beautiful.

Russ