Egg-free baking and snacks

starbaby

Veteran
Local time
9:03 AM
I currently own a daycare and one of the kids has an egg allergy that I need to work around. I can separate her from the other kids while they eat, but she is a toddler and no matter how hard we try, it is hard to avoid the scraps being caught in the other kids clothing, diapers, etc, so I would rather just avoid eggs all together if possible.

I had no problem planning the lunch menu without eggs, but I am finding it so hard to plan desserts and snacks. We generally have muffins, bars, or cookies in the afternoons, and things like pancakes and french toast in the mornings. I have not been entirely happy substituting eggs with bananas, applesauce, etc, so I would really like so recipes that are egg-free and healthy.

Thanks in advance or your help!

My experience has been the eggs are often used as a binding agent and are unnecessary... chocolate chip scones for instance simply don't need them in them, just use a touch more milk as the binder. I suspect you would find cookies and muffins are the same. The texture may be marginally different but not hugely! cakes are easily made without eggs, so just add a touch more baking powder and omit the eggs and see what happens!

Aww I think that it is very considerate that you want to change your menu to accommodate the child allergic to egg! Like SatNav said eggs are not necessary in baking or desserts. I know I have omitted them a couple of times and whatever I was baking turned out just fine!

Try that out and see if everyone will enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom