Egg Rings

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
6:32 AM
When pan-frying an egg, one kitchen thing I've seen was something like a very blunt cookie-cutter, which you're supposed to crack the egg into and it will keep the egg within a particular size so that the whites don't dribble all over the place and set like that and you have to either fold it or cut it to get it to fit on the flipper or on a sandwich or something.

Some egg rings even make cute shapes, like stars, hearts, or teddy bear heads.

What I really like, though, is the trick of using an onion ring or a slice of bell pepper as an egg ring!

I have seen people do this and though it was such a cute idea. One of the most recent ones I have seen was someone made a skull with the fried eggs. The yolks were the eyes and the egg whites filled the rest of the holes. It was super cute. I have done it with onion slices and it is so good. You can do it with bread (cut out a hole) and make "Egyptian Eyes". Also, it works very well with green, red, or yellow peppers.

I have seen those but I really don't need them, at least for my sunny side up eggs. They would be fun for egg and cheese sandwiches or egg with bacon, ham, etc. Also they might be good to make mini omelets.

I had a pair of these, but the problem was my pans were a little warped (and perhaps the rings themselves, from shoving them in drawers so much) that the egg whites would still bleed out while cooking. It helps to have the pan pretty hot before you pour the eggs in though, so the bottom starts to set right away. It's kind of the same issue when doing the pepper rings, you need to cut them perfectly straight in order for it to work.

These days, I just stick with this really small frying pan with a lid that I use exclusively for eggs. It's just the right size for two eggs, and makes them a perfect round shape each time. Plus the lid helps steam the top of the eggs so they get cooked too before the bottom gets too browned.

Back
Top Bottom