Egg Shortage

@Berties, I didn't look at the meat when I was grocery shopping the other day, but I'll check next time I go. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the prices of chicken and turkey go up as well, even though from what I've heard, there is a huge supply in deep freeze, so you'd think prices wouldn't be affected.

It's a sellers market,the price will more team likely rise,but as the meat is in deep freeze you can freeze eggs ,and I'm sure a lot of manufacturers use pasteurised frozen eggs,not a whole egg I know for poaching but it's ok ,there is egg yolk ,white and whole egg

I wasn't aware that eggs could be frozen. That's good to know, thanks. I guess I could also scramble some and freeze that way? That would probably be easier, especially for incorporating into the cat food, since I have limited freezer space.

I wasn't aware that eggs could be frozen. That's good to know, thanks. I guess I could also scramble some and freeze that way? That would probably be easier, especially for incorporating into the cat food, since I have limited freezer space.
Great for scrambling,the egg comes ready to go!

Great for scrambling,the egg comes ready to go!

Do you mean they come in a carton, ready to pour? I've seen things like that advertised, but haven't paid attention, since I haven't had an issue just buying regular and cooking them up myself. We have something called egg beaters here, but they're just egg whites. http://www.eggbeaters.com/egg-substitute-products/original

I'll have to do some research to see what is available here. At least I have enough for now, and can start incorporating other things into my diet, as @SatNavSaysStraightOn mentioned, for protein substitutes. I will never do away with my frittatas and quiches completely, though, and hesitate to do too much substitution with the cat food.

I don't want to tie up the forum with my situation. Hopefully the shortage (and prices) won't worsen, and I'll be able to get enough for my needs, once I figure out the substitutions, and work out some new dishes :).

I don't want to tie up the forum with my situation. Hopefully the shortage (and prices) won't worsen, and I'll be able to get enough for my needs, once I figure out the substitutions, and work out some new dishes :).
You are not tying up the forum. I didn't know eggs could be frozen either. Now I am thinking about all those raw eggs I can crack into a suitable container and freeze when we are given too many duck eggs. So you see your situation is educating everyone!

Do you mean they come in a carton, ready to pour? I've seen things like that advertised, but haven't paid attention, since I haven't had an issue just buying regular and cooking them up myself. We have something called egg beaters here, but they're just egg whites. http://www.eggbeaters.com/egg-substitute-products/original

I'll have to do some research to see what is available here. At least I have enough for now, and can start incorporating other things into my diet, as @SatNavSaysStraightOn mentioned, for protein substitutes. I will never do away with my frittatas and quiches completely, though, and hesitate to do too much substitution with the cat food.

Ready in a carton to pour and there is reason not to freeze a egg,
The frozen cartons are pasteurised used for low cooked products ie mayonnaise or hollandaise and yes scrambled egg ,omelettes,even meringues
The forum won't get tied up with questions,we all have a input ,idea and resolutions ,we learn by asking questions

Ready in a carton to pour and there is reason not to freeze a egg,
The frozen cartons are pasteurised used for low cooked products ie mayonnaise or hollandaise and yes scrambled egg ,omelettes,even meringues
The forum won't get tied up with questions,we all have a input ,idea and resolutions ,we learn by asking questions
Do you think they would freeze in the shell, or really need to be shelled first? I am just thinking about things. I guess then provided the shell had not been cracked in the freezer, if you froze them shelled, you could easily defrost them in the shell. It would make knowing how many eggs (yolk and white) you had when you defrosted them much easier.

Do you think they would freeze in the shell, or really need to be shelled first? I am just thinking about things. I guess then provided the shell had not been cracked in the freezer, if you froze them shelled, you could easily defrost them in the shell. It would make knowing how many eggs (yolk and white) you had when you defrosted them much easier.
I would think the shell might break as the water expands ,I've frozen yolks before after making merangues, for use in custard based products ,all ok
Saying that the quality of eggs in the UK goes down hill now as the chickens drink more fluid the eggs get affected ,fried eggs can be a right nightmare

I would think the shell might break as the water expands ,I've frozen yolks before after making merangues, for use in custard based products ,all ok
Saying that the quality of eggs in the UK goes down hill now as the chickens drink more fluid the eggs get affected ,fried eggs can be a right nightmare
I'm guessing it would not matter if the shell broke once the outer was frozen. You would then have an egg that you could potentially peel the shell off and still know you had 1 egg. For the likes of me, knowing I have 2 eggs or 1 egg is rather important with a batch of scones and I was trying to logically think this through. Otherwise I am going to need loads of little containers that can contain a single egg whilst it is frozen because an egg does not typically fit in an average ice-cube container unless it is separated (and a duck egg which is what I am thinking about hasn't a hope with an average ice-cube tray - mind you I would have to have an ice-cube tray first!)

I'm guessing it would not matter if the shell broke once the outer was frozen. You would then have an egg that you could potentially peel the shell off and still know you had 1 egg. For the likes of me, knowing I have 2 eggs or 1 egg is rather important with a batch of scones and I was trying to logically think this through. Otherwise I am going to need loads of little containers that can contain a single egg whilst it is frozen because an egg does not typically fit in an average ice-cube container unless it is separated (and a duck egg which is what I am thinking about hasn't a hope with an average ice-cube tray - mind you I would have to have an ice-cube tray first!)
Just sort of thinking out loud here - would an egg fit into one of the plastic egg boxes ? [The ones eggs come in from the supermarket I mean - they seem a bit bigger than ice cube trays].

There are plastic egg boxes?
Yes. Maybe not in Waitrose but Aldi and Tesco's sell them that way. Usually the cheaper non free-range, not even barn, eggs. I sometimes buy the cheap ones to use in baking. I'm not really that bothered if they are free range or not except for the taste. These are Tesco's Everyday Value eggs:

IDShot_110x110.jpg

I saw on the news that there was a limitation in some areas of 3 dozen of eggs, it was not clear if that was at each purchase or a month. I only use eggs to bake so I didn't really pay much attention to the article. I can understand people who eat eggs on a regular bases having concerns, I would use eggs beaters or dry eggs if I really needed the eggs and could not purchase them in the store.

I've never seen or used duck eggs, are they larger than chicken eggs? I wonder if it would work to freeze them separately in snack or sandwich size freezer bags? Space is an issue here, but I could probably get a package of small freezer bags and try that out.

I've never heard of or seen plastic egg boxes. They come in foam or cardboard cartons here.

I've never seen or used duck eggs, are they larger than chicken eggs?
Yes they are larger than hen's eggs. Duck's eggs tend to be creamy in the yolk, slightly more plasticky in the white, and milder, at least the ones I have had are. The breed that my landlady has only lays totally white shelled eggs which has taken some getting used to for some reason, despite me being used to blue shelled hen's eggs, and blue shelled Bantam's eggs. I have also had quails eggs one time they were 10p for a dozen in the supermarket. Usually they are stunningly expensive, but for 10p I could not resist trying them!

Yes they are larger than hen's eggs. Duck's eggs tend to be creamy in the yolk, slightly more plasticky in the white, and milder, at least the ones I have had are. The breed that my landlady has only lays totally white shelled eggs which has taken some getting used to for some reason, despite me being used to blue shelled hen's eggs, and blue shelled Bantam's eggs. I have also had quails eggs one time they were 10p for a dozen in the supermarket. Usually they are stunningly expensive, but for 10p I could not resist trying them!

I think in US they mainly use white eggs. Don't know why. I think that they are more aesthetically pleasing in US culture because they look 'purer'. Whereas, in UK, we have moved to brown eggs (again for aesthetic reasons) because they seem more 'wholesome'. We used to get more white hen's eggs in the UK but hardly ever now. I kept chickens as a kid and my white chickens (White Leghorns) laid white eggs and the brown hens (Rhode Island Reds) laid brown eggs. I assume that almost all UK chickens are brown now! Nutritionally there is no difference between white and brown, of course. Its quite fascinating. I wonder if preferences for (and availability of) brown or white hens eggs differ across the US. Or if the US trend for white eggs is changing. Or indeed, if there are preferences in other countries.

Back
Top Bottom