Recipe Eggplant / Aubergine Dahl

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
4:47 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
eggplant-dal-served.jpg

Eggplant / Aubergine Dal - featuring Cumin...

Prep Time: 40 minutes.
Cook Time: 45 minutes.
Rest Time: Serve hot.
Serves: 3-4 as a main (can also be a side).
Cuisine: Indian.
Leftovers: Please save and serve up to five days later (refrigerate in the interim).

Eggplant/Aubergine and Lentil Dhal
  • 100 g red lentils / 3.5 ounces masoor dal. Provide them split, they’ll cook faster.
  • 400 grams / 14 ounces of eggplant aubergine, cubed. I went with the Asian varieties and had two of these. Eggplants will vary greatly in size.
  • 2 teaspoons cumin / jeera seed.
  • 2 tablespoons of a healthy high-heat cooking oil. I use avocado oil – look at the label for high heat, as not all avocado oil is high heat! If you don’t mind the dish not being vegan, you can always use ghee.
  • 1 medium yellow (or white) onion, peeled and chopped. (8 ounces/280 grams)
  • 2 teaspoons ginger paste (or finely minced fresh ginger).
  • 2 crushed garlic cloves.
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder. (Your choice as to heat level, I used a milder ancho chili powder.)
  • 1.5 teaspoons ground turmeric.
  • 1 teaspoon amchoor powder
  • 4 – 6 curry leaves, chopped.
  • 300 mL / 10.5 ounces water.
  • Sea salt, or pink Himalayan salt, to taste.
  • Garnish with fresh cilantro (preferentially) or with fresh parsley.

Chop up the eggplant into cubes, removing skin if you are using European eggplant. The Asian varieties have thinner skin and you may leave this on. Soak the cubed eggplant in salted, acidulated water. You can weigh down this with a saucer. Soak for at least 20 minutes. Afterwards, you may chop the eggplant finer, especially if you’ve left the skin on.

In a large skillet, heat to medium/medium high. Add the cumin seeds. Stir rapidly for about 30-40 seconds, as these roast, and aroma is released.

Add the oil, allow to heat, another 30-40 seconds.

Add the onions and render them translucent, stirring often. Say, 5 minutes.

Reduce, and add all the other herbs/spices (NOT the garnish). Turn the heat to low, adding the lentils and the water. Simmer for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the eggplant, and continue to simmer for 25-30 more minutes. If you need to add more water, do so. (I added 100 grams / 3.5 ounces more) Taste, and if tender enough and ready to serve, plate and add the cilantro or parsley garnish. (You may want more salt to mix in, prior to the garnish, let your taste guide you.)

This will not be a smooth dhal. Which is fine. You can certainly serve this as a main dish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great flavour combinations here - I discovered a while ago how wonderful amchoor (mango powder) was with aubergines and together with cumin, ginger, chilli its bound to work a dream.

Puzzled slightly by removing the skin of the aubergine - I never do. I love the shiny purple black skin.

Great flavour combinations here - I discovered a while ago how wonderful amchoor (mango powder) was with aubergines and together with cumin, ginger, chilli its bound to work a dream.

Puzzled slightly by removing the skin of the aubergine - I never do. I love the shiny purple black skin.

I do like that amchoor powder! Discovered it a couple years back!

I only do it (skin removal) on the big ones, the skin just seems too thick. And when I serve eggplant to friends - they're seldom happy to see the skin. But I think it's great on the smaller southeast Asian eggplant/aubergine.

Last edited:
I only do it (skin removal) on the big ones, the skin just seems too thick.

Maybe the type you get is different. I think I have some aubergine recipes somewhere on the forum - if I can find them I'll post a link so you can see how they look. The only time I used the little round ones I found they were entirely different from the purple type and seemed hard all the way through - and green!

Back
Top Bottom