Recipe Eggs in Louisiana Creole Purgatory

caseydog

Local time
10:07 AM
Eggs in Louisiana Creole Purgatory

This was inspired by Shakshuka, which is very much like Eggs in Purgatory. BTW, where Louisiana Cajun does not use tomatoes, Louisiana Creole does. Cajun comes from French Canadian settlers, while Creole comes from the Caribbean and African cultures in Louisiana.

1641413638612.jpeg

Ingredients (makes four servings)

1 - 28OZ Can Whole Plum Tomatoes (San Marzano if available)
The Trinity...
1 - Cup Diced Onions
1 - Cup Diced Bell Pepper
1 - Cup Diced Celery

4 Cloves crushed Garlic (The Pope)

1 TBSP Paprika (hot or smoked paprika)
1 TSP Cayenne
1 TSP White Pepper
1 TBSP Dried Oregano
1 TBSP Dried Thyme

Instructions

In a large bowl, crush your whole tomatoes by hand, or using a potato masher. You should end up with a chunky sauce.

In a large pan (preferably cast iron), sauté your trinity in OO until softened, but not not browned. Add garlic (the Pope) for the last minute. Add tomatoes and stir together. Then add your spices and herbs.

Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes -- an hour is what I did. The sauce will thicken, and most of the tomato water will be gone. Your sauce needs to be a little firm for the next step.

Create egg sized divots in the sauce. Crack eggs (one egg per serving) into the divots (you may want to crack into a small bowl first, then pour in, just incase a yolk breaks, or shell gets into your egg).

Let the eggs poach in the tomato sauce until done to your liking. Using a glass lid to trap steam will help set the whites.

NOTE: Do't make more than you need for one meal. This does NOT work as leftovers. However, if you make a full amount of sauce, that does keep well in the fridge, and can be heated and served with pasta or rice on another day. Just use as much sauce as you need for one meal for this egg dish.

CD

Last edited:
Just a comment. The real flavor comes from the sauce, so as you simmer the sauce, taste it, and add seasoning to your personal taste. If you want more heat, add more cayenne and white pepper -- after it simmers for a while.

CD

I KNOW you took more pics and you are just holding out on us

I love it, but where's the egg bleed????

I took my initial shots with the eggs whole, and then poked one for a bleed. Since the eggs are in holes in the sauce, the "bleed" didn't go anywhere. It just pooled up on top of the egg.

CD

I took my initial shots with the eggs whole, and then poked one for a bleed. Since the eggs are in holes in the sauce, the "bleed" didn't go anywhere. It just pooled up on top of the egg.

CD
Well I am sure it was fabulous. I think a slice with a sharp knife would have done the trick, though, and the yolk would have run a bit to the side. Would have made a nice second shot.

Back
Top Bottom