Recipe Elderflower Cordial

Berties

Guru
Local time
12:28 AM
our house was full of a sweet smell yesterday ,the first batch of elderflower cordial
we make this to a recipe passed to us from a old relation of my wife,and then freeze bottles for later use ,it's only a short season so give it a try
image.jpg

The original recipe
image.jpg

you just leave the ingredients in a bucket,easy

They are just starting to flower here. I reckon another week and I will be in the position to be able to make some cordial as well. I have already posted my recipe up on here somewhere. Here we go.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/elderflower-cordial.333/
We have made the decision that it is too sweet for us, so we will be adding less sugar this year.
Did you also know you can freeze the cordial to keep it for longer without it going off? It works really well.

I've never made cordial or wine. I like the idea of a simple recipe, especially one that's been proven over time. I'm not familiar with elderflower, is that the same plant that produces elderberries? I don't know if we have them here, but since I did make jasmine tea from my blossoms, maybe at some point I can try this type of recipe, too.

Yep ! Champagne bottles , new plastic corks and cages ,
It's a simple task!
Oops sorry - didn't mean the bottles were difficult just that a lot of people seem to be afraid of using the hydrometer - [and you'd be surprised at how many use ordinary wine bottles too]. I've never had any bottles explode although I have had a few corks pushed out. I don't wire them in just in case - it leaves a sort of safety valve. You still seem to get plenty of fizz and as we arn't creating vintage champagne here - just something fun to drink that seems good enough.

I've never made cordial or wine. I like the idea of a simple recipe, especially one that's been proven over time. I'm not familiar with elderflower, is that the same plant that produces elderberries? I don't know if we have them here, but since I did make jasmine tea from my blossoms, maybe at some point I can try this type of recipe, too.
elder berries come after the flower,in the uk they are out now,a little latter than normal!

The tree is called an elder rather like an ash or an oak.
So an elder tree or an oak tree is not out of place.
Then you add flower or berries accordingly.

Thanks, @SatNavSaysStraightOn and @Berties I'm a city girl, just now learning about nature, and I'm learning quite a bit here on this forum :). Perhaps someday I will delve into making cordials and other (in my opinion) advanced concoctions.
the above recipe is so easy ,if you can count and weigh ingredients ,its a piece of cake,have confidence ,
we make a lemon cordial in a similar way,i will have a scout for a recipe and blackcurrant cordial is a good one, just like Ribeena

Back
Top Bottom