Electric egg boilers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:20 AM
I really didn't think I'd ever buy such a gadget but The Late Night Gourmet mentioned how he loved his egg cooker, so I researched a bit. I hit on the WHAL which is a brand I trust. I have their spice grinder which is brilliant. The price was so low and the size of the machine was so compact (I have a tiny kitchen), that I thought 'why not?'. It cost £14.49 which is approx. $17.77. So far, so good. I've been using it to make hard boiled eggs and haven't tried soft boiled yet.

Its so easy to use and (probably) faster than cooking in boiling water on the hob. But the winner for me is that the eggs seem to shell perfectly. I mean the shells just slip off! I cooked three lots of eggs (different types) and it was the same each time. To test this further, I bought a brand of eggs which I know have tough membranes: Black Farmer eggs. They are fantastic eggs with deep yellow yolks but impossible to peel. I've mentioned this before on the forum and its borne out by comments from customers on the supermarket website. I cooked two of these eggs today and they shelled perfectly. I need to keep testing this as I suppose it could be a fluke...

Here is the dinky machine. It holds 7 eggs but you can cook less if you want.

I really didn't think I'd ever buy such a gadget but The Late Night Gourmet mentioned how he loved his egg cooker, so I researched a bit. I hit on the WHAL which is a brand I trust. I have their spice grinder which is brilliant. The price was so low and the size of the machine was so compact (I have a tiny kitchen), that I thought 'why not?'. It cost £14.49 which is approx. $17.77. So far, so good. I've been using it to make hard boiled eggs and haven't tried soft boiled yet.

Its so easy to use and (probably) faster than cooking in boiling water on the hob. But the winner for me is that the eggs seem to shell perfectly. I mean the shells just slip off! I cooked three lots of eggs (different types) and it was the same each time. To test this further, I bought a brand of eggs which I know have tough membranes: Black Farmer eggs. They are fantastic eggs with deep yellow yolks but impossible to peel. I've mentioned this before on the forum and its borne out by comments from customers on the supermarket website. I cooked two of these eggs today and they shelled perfectly. I need to keep testing this as I suppose it could be a fluke...

Here is the dinky machine. It holds 7 eggs but you can cook less if you want.

View attachment 86971
Please let me know how it does with soft-boiled eggs. This is the one I’m looking at, similarly wee and similarly priced:

WAHL made my beard trimmer!

I´ll be honest. I would not want to spend money on a machine that cooks boiled eggs, since:
  • No-one in my family eats boiled eggs for breakfast
  • The only time we use boiled eggs are in salads or curries, and there are only three of us
  • I established, many years ago, how I like my eggs cooked, and it comes with water, salt and a touch of vinegar.
But if you´re cooking for large numbers, it could be an option.

Please let me know how it does with soft-boiled eggs.

Well, not good. There is a little cup which you use to measure the amount of water to add. I followed instructions for 2 eggs soft boiled. One egg was large and the other medium sized. They were completely over cooked as you can see. I suppose I could increase the amount of water and experiment but there is no way these are soft boiled. They are medium verging on hard. You can also see that one is slightly softer. That is the larger egg.

However, one plus point is that when I shelled them for the photo, once again the shells literally slipped off. For me this is a major reason to use the machine for hard boiled eggs and if I can get the water level right, also for soft boiled which are to be shelled.

Well, not good. There is a little cup which you use to measure the amount of water to add. I followed instructions for 2 eggs soft boiled. One egg was large and the other medium sized. They were completely over cooked as you can see. I suppose I could increase the amount of water and experiment but there is no way these are soft boiled. They are medium verging on hard. You can also see that one is slightly softer. That is the larger egg.

View attachment 87007
View attachment 87008
View attachment 87009

However, one plus point is that when I shelled them for the photo, once again the shells literally slipped off. For me this is a major reason to use the machine for hard boiled eggs and if I can get the water level right, also for soft boiled which are to be shelled.
Yeah, I don’t need a specific appliance for that - I can do that all on me own! :laugh:

That pic looks perfect for a hard-boiled/hard-cooked egg, but I´m with TastyReuben
I can do that all on me own!

The thing is that I now have a gadget which results in hard boiled eggs where the shell literally slips off. I've tried all the usual methods: ice cold water after boiling etc. but its hit and miss and depends on the type of egg. This gadget seems get a result every time. Its probably not important to most people - but I do use a lot of hard boiled eggs and I like them quickly and perfectly shelled, so for me, its useful.

Not for me, thanks. I'm the only one eating eggs her - apart from my daughter, that is, who occasionally likes a fry for breakfast. So an electric egg boiler would be a waste of space for me. My son gave me an egg poacher for use on the hob and I used it once or twice, but the egg I used took a long time to set and I just went back to using a normal saucepan. Of course, I can see how devices which can boil or poach multiple eggs would be very useful for some people, but they're not something I need.

Just boil them in water on the gas is adequate for me, whether it be soft boiled, semi soft boiled or hard boiled. Admittedly the correct timing is important for soft/semi soft boiled but it's not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom