Environmental Survey

CaitlinLatimer

Über Member
Local time
7:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to cookingbites! I am a third year Geography student at the University of Exeter and I am looking for UK residents to fill out my questionnaire to collect data for my dissertation. My questionnaire looks at pro-environmental attitudes and changes to meat consumption.

I would be truly grateful if any UK resident could fill out my questionnaire as I am looking to target a wide range of people. It will take less than 10 minutes and it would be a hugely beneficial for my degree.

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkxcq76CJu8S07IDuhrDodbTKcBFIk08y5rWttAN5yJb6EPw/viewform

Also if there is a more appropriate place to post this please let me know :)

Thank you!

Mod. I have approved this. @morning glory

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @CaitlinLatimer I filled in your survey. I found it difficult to answer the question 'If things continue on their present course, we will soon experience a major ecological catastrophe' as it depends what is meant by soon! In the next 100 years, 200 years, a few years time....etc.?

It also seems possible to repeatedly submit the survey which could potentially skew results - or do you have a checking mechanism in place?

Hi everyone,

I am new to cookingbites! I am a third year Geography student at the University of Exeter and I am looking for UK residents to fill out my questionnaire to collect data for my dissertation. My questionnaire looks at pro-environmental attitudes and changes to meat consumption.

I would be truly grateful if any UK resident could fill out my questionnaire as I am looking to target a wide range of people. It will take less than 10 minutes and it would be a hugely beneficial for my degree.

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfkxcq76CJu8S07IDuhrDodbTKcBFIk08y5rWttAN5yJb6EPw/viewform

Also if there is a more appropriate place to post this please let me know :)

Thank you!

Mod. I have approved this. @morning glory

Just completed it Caitlin. Some of the questions are a bit leading though!

I love Exeter - was there working for a couple of days in June and visited a great street market selling fantastic local foods. Had a Devon (as opposed to "Cornish") pasty for lunch. Superb. Sorry to hear that the Royal Clarence had burnt down - irreplaceable.

The other thing I've realised is that the survey didn't ask for my location. We have members from all over the world here!

Thank you both for your feedback and for completing my survey! :)

Regarding your concerns...
I have stressed that I only want UK residents to complete the survey however I realise now that including another question to ensure respondents are UK based would have been appropriate; this issue will be considered as a limitation of my survey.
The other two concerns have already been considered and I am unable to address them, re-submission is due to the nature of the software used to create the survey and some misleading questions are included as they are taken from a well known study/scale used to measure 'pro-environmental attitudes'.

Thank you both for your feedback and for completing my survey! :)

Regarding your concerns...
I have stressed that I only want UK residents to complete the survey however I realise now that including another question to ensure respondents are UK based would have been appropriate; this issue will be considered as a limitation of my survey.
The other two concerns have already been considered and I am unable to address them, re-submission is due to the nature of the software used to create the survey and some misleading questions are included as they are taken from a well known study/scale used to measure 'pro-environmental attitudes'.
Sorry - I realise now that you did specify UK residents! We have a couple of UK citizens here who are living abroad - are they eligible to complete the survey?

I find your questions interesting but you seem to have [as so many do] forgotten one of the main facts about the environment and seem to be focusing on meat consumption. That main fact is - we only have reliable and comprehensive data going back about 25 - 30 years. The vast amount of environmental data we have now is only possible because of the satellites constantly reporting back. 50 years ago such data was not available and if we go back 100 years huge areas of the world [and this impacts on everybody where ever they live] would only be reported a few times a year.
If you are focusing on British eating habits - fine, If you are focusing on the environment - fine, but in seriousness I would advise picking one horse and running with it.

I find your questions interesting but you seem to have [as so many do] forgotten one of the main facts about the environment and seem to be focusing on meat consumption. That main fact is - we only have reliable and comprehensive data going back about 25 - 30 years. The vast amount of environmental data we have now is only possible because of the satellites constantly reporting back. 50 years ago such data was not available and if we go back 100 years huge areas of the world [and this impacts on everybody where ever they live] would only be reported a few times a year.
If you are focusing on British eating habits - fine, If you are focusing on the environment - fine, but in seriousness I would advise picking one horse and running with it.
Good points. Crops can damage the environment possibly more than meat production - but I'm no expert in these matters!

Sorry - I realise now that you did specify UK residents! We have a couple of UK citizens here who are living abroad - are they eligible to complete the survey?

I wasn't quite prepared for this situation to be honest, but I'm looking at UK consumers in general so I guess both UK residents and citizens would be appropriate!

Not yet seen the survey, but a few points on bits raised.

In the UK, as elsewhere within Europe(not the EU), we're moving more to factory farming. It's cheaper, uses less land, freeing more up for larger fields. Twofold impact from this, "wildlife corridors" are removed & land needs to set aside for livestock feed.

I've gone from turning a field by hand, using a fork, through square bales, jumbo bales, silage pits and now baled silage. Pink appears to be the "in colour" this year. To stop bird tears & rewrapping.

Hills, not suitable for actually driving a tractor on, you'll have sheep and cattle. But they require moving every few days, to give the grass time to recover.

Along with this, is the artificial feeds given to them. Land required for these.

Hi all,

Last time I posted on Cooking Bites I was overwhelmed by the amount of responses I received, so I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone for your support! :)

If any one else (UK resident) would like to fill out my questionnaire I would be truly grateful.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom