Ever wondered about those labels on fruit?

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
7:15 AM
AAFRANCESCACARROTSCOLORS20180122_120621.jpg

In Spain, most of the Appellation fruit and vegetables grown on our soil on substainable lands, does not have stickers labelling a corporation symbol or other such information ..

The Origin of the fruit is indicated and the data of each of the fruits and veggies and all actually on a sign above or next to but nothing is pasted on the fruit or veggies ..

Imports, can have sticker labels of the corporation Brand and origin .. But no numbers or codes etcetra ..

Last edited:
At our grocery stores, many cashiers have absolutely no clue what some of the produce is and need those stickers/tags to be scanned for identification. Karen or I quite often have to identify items that aren't tagged or labeled. Parsnips are a perfect example. I've noticed with many of the young (teen) cashiers, that they would not be able to make change with out the register telling them.

Last edited:
View attachment 13181

In Spain, most of the Appellation fruit and vegetables grown on our soil on substainable lands, does not have stickers labelling a corporation symbol or other such information ..

The Origin of the fruit is indicated and the data of each of the fruits and veggies and all actually on a sign above or next to but nothing is pasted on the fruit or veggies ..

Imports, can have sticker labels of the corporation Brand and origin .. But no numbers or codes etcetra ..

in Italy everything must be labeled, registered, written codes, from which companies comes even if Italians, when it has been packaged and by whom ... I believe it is for greater consumer protection especially if and when it comes to products imported from other countries

@classic33
Not much. Just an appalling sense that young people are severely undereducated.

I was checking out in a grocery and the cashier and bager were tossing out years and asking if they were good years or not. One said 1776. I said the was a very important year in US history. One actually asked me what happened that year.:eek: In another check out line my total came to $19.41. I asked the cashier what happened on December 7, 1941. Absolutely no clue.

in Italy everything must be labeled, registered, written codes, from which companies comes even if Italians, when it has been packaged and by whom ... I believe it is for greater consumer protection especially if and when it comes to products imported from other countries

@MypinchofItaly

All our packaged foods are labelled, and marked and include all ingredients, including transgenetics ( Gmos) and if bio / natural or organic ecological .. However, fruits and vegetables and fish or meats are just marked with a sign of the appellation or designation of origin, the type of fish or meat and the Price per kilo or piece.

If local, there are no stickers .. Sustainble and natural Lemons in many cases for example are placed in netted bags and the info required is on the paper which is connected to the netted bag.

Mangos have a sticker as do avocados with a Brand name in many cases ..

Tomatoes no .. Carrots no or lettuces no ..

Fish may have a metal identification when coming from France or Norway or Alaska ( wild salmon - Alaska Seafood Corporation ) ..

However, local products do not require at this level.

Only packaged ítems ( boxes, plastic, glass jars, tins or cans, frozen, etcetra .. ) Then all is labelled and very thoroughly including if it is natural or transgenetic ..

I agree with you .. As I read all labels ..

I never buy fruit or vegetables that have no aroma .. They are false ..

Thanks .. Have a lovely weekend and feel better ..

Craig bought tomatillos last week for our green chile stew. He removed the husks from them because we've gotten home and found mold or rotten spots hidden by the husk. He had to go to the front desk for a raincheck while I checked us out. The cashier, a young girl, held up 1 of the tomatillos and asked if it was a green plum...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom