Experiences travelling abroad

We were living in the UK, probably 1994, and it just so happened that MrsTasty's sister was in-country as well (both sisters married service members). We lived a couple of hours apart.

Because of that, MrsTasty's folks planned a month-long visit; two weeks with us, then two weeks with their other daughter. There was a bit of competition between the two sisters to show their parents the better time, and our big surprise for them was a long weekend in Germany, courtesy of one of those bargain-priced coach trips.

MrsTasty's dad was proudly German-American, and he loved anything German, in typical over-the-top American style (yes, on his first day in Germany, he was especially proud to wear his "You Can Tell A German...But You Can't Tell Him Much!" t-shirt :laugh:, so we won that competition (her sister just took them to London for the day, not bad, but not Germany for a long weekend).

We booked the trip through a local British travel agency, because there were no trips scheduled through the base recreation center, so we were the lone Americans on a bus full of Brits. No problem.

All the way there, my FIL talked enthusiastically about all the good, authentic German food he was going to eat, and all the good authentic German beer he was going to drink. Schnitzel and sausages and roast pork and more sausages and all washed down with beer, lots of German beer.

We got to the hotel the first night, all tired but excited, and we were told to meet in the dining room at 7PM, because the hotel had a special welcome dinner planned for the group and to not be late.

We arrived at the appointed time, and the hotel manager and our tour guide gave a little talk about how much they loved us, and loved each other, and loved everything and that the hotel had planned a special welcome dinner for "our British guests," (at which my FIL bellowed out, "AND FOUR AMERICANS!"), and as a special treat, beer was included with the meal.

"Oh, boy! I can't wait! Maybe it's Wiener schnitzel! With a lot of noodles! Or a big plate of sausages! Oh, boy, I can taste that beer now! And big soft pretzels and mustard!" He was almost crying with anticipation.

"So welcome everyone, from us to you, as a way to say a special hello, we have prepared for you, a special meal...FISH AND CHIPS! AND CANS OF YOUR FAVORITE BRITISH BEER FOR EVERYONE!"

:laugh:

My second trip to La Romana, DR was interesting. I missed my plane which was a direct flight and had to fly into Santo Domingo. They arranged for a taxi to take me to La Romana, a several hour drive. I got to see the river where "Apocalypse Now" was filmed. About 1/2 way the cops stopped the taxi to negotiate "the terms of passage" or how much money. That was a first for me. We passed through some areas with really poor people and as we approached the hotel area there were armed guards posted to keep the locals that didn't work at the hotels/resorts away. I was there to work on several compressors and install a new one. They put me up at the resort's hotel. I had free access to the restaurant and bar. Although I was used to the humidity in south Florida, the humidity there was extremely oppressive. The whole time I worked, it was like being in the shower. When I finished working for the day, after taking a shower and a change of clothes I hit the bar and restaurant. Although I don't usually eat seafood out, the look of that cold seafood spread, with the table groaning under the weight of all the shellfish on it, I figured I'd find something edible. I piled up a plate with shrimp, local lobster, crab and mussels. That was the first time I had ever seen New Zealand, green lipped mussels. They put Prince Edward island mussels to shame. The size alone impressed me. I didn't even order an entree. The guy incharge of the dive operation, Martin, was German and the resort thought it would be cheaper to send him to Munich to be trained on Bauer compressors, than bring me back to do the repairs and service. That was my last trip to the DR.

My second trip to La Romana, DR was interesting. I missed my plane which was a direct flight and had to fly into Santo Domingo. They arranged for a taxi to take me to La Romana, a several hour drive. I got to see the river where "Apocalypse Now" was filmed. About 1/2 way the cops stopped the taxi to negotiate "the terms of passage" or how much money. That was a first for me. We passed through some areas with really poor people and as we approached the hotel area there were armed guards posted to keep the locals that didn't work at the hotels/resorts away. I was there to work on several compressors and install a new one. They put me up at the resort's hotel. I had free access to the restaurant and bar. Although I was used to the humidity in south Florida, the humidity there was extremely oppressive. The whole time I worked, it was like being in the shower. When I finished working for the day, after taking a shower and a change of clothes I hit the bar and restaurant. Although I don't usually eat seafood out, the look of that cold seafood spread, with the table groaning under the weight of all the shellfish on it, I figured I'd find something edible. I piled up a plate with shrimp, local lobster, crab and mussels. That was the first time I had ever seen New Zealand, green lipped mussels. They put Prince Edward island mussels to shame. The size alone impressed me. I didn't even order an entree. The guy incharge of the dive operation, Martin, was German and the resort thought it would be cheaper to send him to Munich to be trained on Bauer compressors, than bring me back to do the repairs and service. That was my last trip to the DR.

The green mussels are farm barge grown, when the kids were small we used to holiday elie bay/crail bay in the sounds at top of South Island. Massive barges for the export market. I'm not a big fan, but I cook them for friends. In a Thai coconut sauce. The factory is in havelock.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom