Experiences travelling abroad

Three of my siblings have never flown. Travel to them is packing up the truck and the camper and going to a state park somewhere.

In these days and times, it makes sense not to fly. But I loved to fly ever since I was a kid. I had the bug, as my dad was a pilot. To me, it's exciting. Yeah, so in the past 20 years it's been less fun due to all the extra security, but I still loved that feeling of takeoff and I love a window seat.

Now I am not sure when I will fly again.

You reminded me, I was In the airport in Seoul flying to Pusan for business. I used to smoke in the early 90s. They had a glass enclosure of about 20 X 20 feet. By the time I lit up I couldn't see out the glass. Chain smoking Asians and me,lol.

Russ
My husband smokes. When we have traveled in the past, if there are airports with smoking areas and we have time in between flights, he must smoke. I suggested he just walk into the smoking room, take a few deep breaths, and walk out, as the rooms are so smoky there is no need to fire up another one. Could save some cigarettes that way!

As I read all of your post i thought to myself "They are all so worldly and well traveled. I feel like a hick." Then I had another thought. The U.S. is a very large country, Many European countries are no larger than our states. Our topography ranges from coastlines East, West and South. All are different. Swamps, marshes, plains, deserts, mountains -both young and old, rain forest, volcanoes, canyons, caverns, petrified forest. The list goes on. That is only the continental U.S. Can't forget Alaska and Hawaii. Our demographics are as diverse as our topography. Every race and ethnicity is represented in the U.S.
Our problem is that we are a young nation. Archaeologists disagree over the arrival of the first humans in North America. I have read anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 years ago. That is nothing compared to Asia, Africa, Europe and South America. IDK about Australia. As a nation we are mere children. I think that when many of my fellow citizens travel to other countries they do so with the arrogance of youth.
My foreign travel is limited to 3 weeks in the U.K. and 3 weeks in Spain. The one thing that struck me was a feeling of antiquity, age, history that can not be found in the U.S.
I would love to travel over seas again before I die. I would really like to share that with George. He has never traveled out of the U.S. except for the border towns of Mexico.
He has never been to NYC, Washington State, Oregon or Boston. I want him to see those places. I have only been to southern Georgia. I would love to explore Georgia and the Carolina's with him. George has been to Alaska on a business trip. The North Slope. A trip to Alaska is a dream.
I loved my experiences in Europe. I would do that again in a heart beat. I have realized that I have so much to explore and learn about in my own back yard. I think our vacations will be Stay Nation.
Great post ElizabethB. I envy the diversity of your countryside. I have never visited the US, my wife has on business, but the closest I have been is in the works of Bill Bryson.

My husband smokes. When we have traveled in the past, if there are airports with smoking areas and we have time in between flights, he must smoke. I suggested he just walk into the smoking room, take a few deep breaths, and walk out, as the rooms are so smoky there is no need to fire up another one. Could save some cigarettes that way!
Those airport smoking rooms were enough to put anyone off smoking.

On a job in Qatar I was driving a hire car...........

Another driving experience in Qatar, some years later.

I was driving with the Project Manager and two young engineers in the back. It was a four door car and we were horsing along at some 120 km/hr on blacktop. In the haze in the distance I noticed a sign on the side of the road. We were probably about 20 metres from it when it became readable - "End of Paved Surface". A few seconds later it was clear that the sign was actually at the end of the road, no prior warning, and there was a 300mm drop onto the desert scrub.

The Project Manager returned the car to the rental company at the end of the job. There were still pronounced buckles in the front wings.

The U.S. is a very large country, Many European countries are no larger than our states. Our topography ranges from coastlines East, West and South. All are different. Swamps, marshes, plains, deserts, mountains -both young and old, rain forest, volcanoes, canyons, caverns, petrified forest. The list goes on.
I travel more to experience the culture than I do to see a particular sight.
We travel for a combination of these two reasons: to see new things and places, and to experience the a different culture - I don't think one is more important than the other. The best places combine both :okay: For example.....sitting on the wall outside a tiny osteria on a small canal in Venice with a drink and a few cicchetti. Watching the locals going about their daily lives....stopping in for a drink and a chat, driving down the canal in their little motor boat with their shopping on the seat behind them, boats loaded with fruit and veg going past, others stopping at every other landing to deliver DHL and Amazon parcels. Plus the occasional tourist in a gondola of course.

But actually one of my favourite activities on holiday is visiting supermarkets :laugh: ...I love to wander around looking at the different food and drinks available in different places. I think I've probably been to a supermarket in every country we've visited.

I think I've probably been to a supermarket in every country we've visited.

Back in the early 80s we (my wife and I and two kids) went on holiday to La Rochelle on the west coast of France. We drove there in our estate car and prior to leaving to return to England, stocked up with French wine. A friend in the UK had asked us to look out for a particular Le Crueset cooking pot so we called in a few supermarkets on the way back to Calais. In each one we decided that we had a little more room for wine so we bought more....and more. We eventually found the Le Crueset pot in question but there was only just enough room to fit it in the car.

Back in the early 80s we (my wife and I and two kids) went on holiday to La Rochelle

That holiday did not get off to a good start.

The company was bidding a major job in Norway at the time and I was very much involved. We were expecting extensive questions to our bid so I said to my wife that she should drive on (with kids of 3 and 5) without me and I'll fly out later. I told my boss the next day and his response was "You've got to be taking the pish!". "That's funny", I said, "That was precisely my wife's reaction!"

We contacted the resort and ascertained that they had a facsimile machine so I did accompany the family in the end.

One thing you discover from travelling around a bit is that you have to be a bit careful taking photos. I remember a couple of incidents in particular.

The first was in Accra in Ghana. We had been walking down by the sea front and there was a rather pretty little lighthouse some way ahead of us. I took a photo of it. Only when we got up close to it did we see a sign informing us that taking photos of it was strictly forbidden and subject to all kinds of prosecution and punishments.

The second was in Tirana in Albania. Tirana has a tiny railway station; the only smaller one in a European capital is probably the one in Pristina in Kosovo. I had just taken a photo of the station from outside when a man in a blue shirt jumped up and started shouting and waving his arms about. He may or may not have been the station master, but I concluded that he probably wasn't wishing me a nice day and I quickly put the camera away.

One thing you discover from travelling around a bit is that you have to be a bit careful taking photos. I remember a couple of incidents in particular.

Once in India we were in Delhi and the MD had specifically instructed us to visit the Tal Mahal in Agra whilst we were there ("take an afternoon off", he said). Our local agent had his son drive us there in the smallest car that I'd ever been in (Maruti, I think). Anyway on the way back late afternoon, we passed a working elephant on the road and I asked the driver to stop for me to take a picture. He pulled in at a layby and I jumped out to snap the approaching elephant. Unfortunately, my camera was manual and was set for the afternoon brightness in Agra so I was a little slow in achieving the correct setting for dusk as it then was. I got the shots but by the time I'd got back in the car, the mahoot had positioned the elephant in front of the car to prevent us driving off. "He wants money", the driver said and proceeded to reverse. The mahoot then maneuvered the elephant toward the rear of the car but our driver was on the ball, he immediately "accelerated" forward and we were away.

I asked "What would he have done?" "Probably told the elephant to sit on the car" the driver said.

But actually one of my favourite activities on holiday is visiting supermarkets :laugh:
That's almost always the first thing we do. We usually arrive sometime in the morning, get checked in, drop off the luggage, then eat if we haven't eaten, then find the closest supermarket.

I had just taken a photo of the station from outside when a man in a blue shirt jumped up and started shouting and waving his arms about.
I had nearly the exact same experience trying to take a photo in Tesco's in Prague!

Another story from the 3-week Euro coach trip:

One of the couples on the coach were American, Bob and Doris, retired teachers from Cleveland, Ohio. Bob was a scamp, always up to mischief, always joking but playing innocent, and Doris' job seemed to be keeping Bob behaved.

After two nights in Munich, we were ready to start the coach portion, with a short drive to Salzburg to walk around the touristy bit of the city, then onto our countryside hotel a little ways out of town.

As was the norm, the coach dropped us as close as we could get, and we all legged it into town from there, and our tour guide Cari took us on a whirlwind walking tour then left us to it for a couple of hours to get lunch or do some shopping.

"Everyone! We'll meet right here by this statue at 2:30PM exactly. If for some reason, you get tired or hot before then, come back to this spot, and if you follow that little alley right there where the pretzel sign is, that will take you right back to the coach. But remember, we're on a schedule, so exactly 2:30PM, right here! Enjoy!"

Off we went. We had a nice lunch and some beer and walked around a bit, then made our way back to the statue at about 2:15PM. There was Cari and maybe one other couple. Soon, other couples wandered up, and about 2:25PM, Doris came huffing and puffing, it an obvious state of distress.

"Cari! Cari! I can't find Bob! I can't find him anywhere! He was right next to me, I turned around, and he was gone! I don't know where is! Oh, Bob!"

Cari tried to calm her down, and people offered as to when and where they'd last seen Bob, and Doris imagined him murdered or lost or in the hospital, and it was about 2:35PM at this point. Doris started crying loudly.

"Right," said Cari, "Here's what we're going to do: everyone, gather together! We're all going back to the bus, and Daniel <the driver> will take you to the hotel, it's just a few miles out of town. I'll call ahead so they can get you checked in, and I'll stay here and look for Bob, then we'll take a taxi to the hotel! To the bus!"

First real day of the trip, and already an emergency. 😲

We somberly head back to the bus, Daniel sees us, the door whooshes open, we climb on board...and there's Bob, snoring loudly about halfway down the aisle!

Doris screamed in relief, which woke Bob, who promptly looked at his watch and loudly chided, "You said 2:30PM. It's almost 2:45PM. Where the hell have you been, you're all late!"

:laugh:

That's just one of about five Bob-and-Doris stories.

A client flew me to New Zealand (Auckland), I was bound for Devonport. While standing in line at Customs, an older woman behind me collapsed. The EMTs were still working on her 30 minutes later when I cleared. Worst flight of my life. Though the client arranged for a taxi to drive me to Devonport, there were no local taxis to get around, had to walk everywhere. I had my first introduction to Indian food on that trip. The folks there were bringing bottles of wine to the restaurants. First time I'd ever saw that.

My first time flying was when I was 15. I worked as a runner for a law firm in downton Miami. They needed to get a brief to Chicago that same day. I was chosen to deliver it. Flew out of Miami Intl, landed at O'hare, took a taxi to the Sears Bldg, delivered the brief, got back in the waiting taxi, back to O'hare and back to Miami. Got home in time to hook up with my friends.

Back
Top Bottom