Experiences travelling abroad

I was actually surprised by how quickly I picked up driving in the UK -- even in London. Now, my wife was scared to death because she was sitting where the driver sits in the US, with no steering wheel or brakes. Some of the narrow country roads, especially in the hills of the Lake District, had her just about to climb into my seat. :laugh:

Now, there is no way I would even try to drive in Paris or Rome. :eek:

CD

I drive pretty well everywhere, Rome included. A drive experience to do at least once in a life.

CraigC - something very similar happened to my wife in a small Austrian village. Not understanding the menu, she ordered what she thought was a sampler plate of sausages, but was instead a sampler plate of offal, and not just the usual offa, like kidneys or liver, but stuff like sheep's lung as we. I picked my way through enough of it as to not be an embarrassment, which (if i May say so myself), shows that I'm a good guest! :)

Very good point. Russians can be fun too. I wonder if bad behaviour whilst abroad comes from some sort of entitled superiority based on a colonial past.

We were in Prague in 2015, had signed up for a two-hour walking tour, and no one else showed, so we had a private session with a young college kid, who took us al over. He was great.

A lot of his tour chatter was how much he (and all Czechs) absolutely despised Russian tourists, and he was quite hilarious with it. Considering their shared history, it was understandable, I suppose.

I have a few theories about traveling behavior. One is, even if you're in a positive frame of mind, you're probably out of your comfort zone, and sometimes, just a little bit can put you just the wee bit out of sorts.

Second, I see too many travelers, from every culture I've experienced, who seem to travel just to make sure that everywhere else is crappier than their country, and they're dead-set on telling you.

Third, kind of related to the second, people who travel, but then expect everything to be like it is at home, and then get pissy when it isn't. Pssst...that's the point of traveling, to experience things in a different way! Bill Bryson (I think) has a great quote about how some people will spend thousands of dollars/pounds/euros to travel thousands of miles to experience different cultures, then complain when they can't get all the same food/TV shows/language that they get at home. Some people just shouldn't travel.

Fourth, some travelers seem to think that whatever city or country or culture they've traveled to is basically an attraction, like Disney World, and they forget that these are real people with real lives that they're interacting with. To me, standing in a Tesco and loudly saying, "Honey! Prawn Cocktail potato chips! Can you believe these people actually eat this?! How weird!," is just incredibly rude. Save that story for when you get home.

I don't mind driving on the "wrong" side of the road, but only in a car designed for that purpose. Driving on the right hand side in a right hand drive car is too weird.
We lived for a few years driving two American-spec cars all over Britain, and except for pretty much giving up the ability to ever overtake someone, we both found it a bit more comfortable than driving local hire cars. Weird, huh?

We never had any problems, even in places where a lot of English wasn't spoken and we didn't speak much, other than very basics like thank you, please, bathroom, etc. BUT, we were always very polite, kept a smile on our face, and didn't act entitled. When our daughter traveled with her high school each year (she made 4 trips to Belgium, France, Spain, and England), I told her to be polite and smile, and she never had any problems.

I think a lot of it is your demeanor. I check Yelp, Travel Advisor and Google reviews before we go to new places. You'll see some places have bad reviews about servers being rude, managers being rude, but when we go the people are just as nice as they can be. And, if you look at the reviews of other places from the same people, you'll start to see a pattern of somebody that is obviously self-entitled and think they are better than restaurant employees, and probably a lot of other people as well.

I don't mind driving on the "wrong" side of the road, but only in a car designed for that purpose. Driving on the right hand side in a right hand drive car is too weird.

I felt at home driving in the uk. We drive left here as well. I drove for 6 weeks al around the uk. When I got to Vancouver and later Hawaii I looked at driving on the right side? We took cabs or hired a driver. I wouldn't feel safe driving on the right in a big town. Same as Asia. I've never driven there or ever will. In Bangkok I hired a driver and small cab for the day for like $50. Took us all over the place, up,to bridge on Kwai. Then elephant show. Cheap as chips.

Russ

We never had any problems, even in places where a lot of English wasn't spoken and we didn't speak much, other than very basics like thank you, please, bathroom, etc. BUT, we were always very polite, kept a smile on our face, and didn't act entitled. When our daughter traveled with her high school each year (she made 4 trips to Belgium, France, Spain, and England), I told her to be polite and smile, and she never had any problems.

I think a lot of it is your demeanor. I check Yelp, Travel Advisor and Google reviews before we go to new places. You'll see some places have bad reviews about servers being rude, managers being rude, but when we go the people are just as nice as they can be. And, if you look at the reviews of other places from the same people, you'll start to see a pattern of somebody that is obviously self-entitled and think they are better than restaurant employees, and probably a lot of other people as well.

Totally agree, I have a habit of talking to everyone, a few years ago we were staying in a flash hotel on the gc. (Gold Coast Australia) and my wife's friend in a room next to us was waiting on my wife, I was just outside the room when the lady that does housekeeping came by me, I spoke to her and started a conversation. My wife's friend walked out of her room and stood next to me as the worker left. She asked me why I was talking to her? She seemed bothered that I was talking to a housekeeper? My wife then caught our conversation then said to her friend, oh, he talks to everyone, then walked off.

Russ

Experiences, the best thing I've ever done while overseas was pick up some tourist vouchers at the reception area of a hotel we stayed in while in Paris. In sacre coure sp. there was an evening tour. It was very expensive but I paid for two tickets. Started with a cruise up river seine for an hour or so, then our tour went to Eiffel Tower where we went up,the leg of the tower to have dinner overlooking Paris. Then tour went to moulin rouge for late show and supper. I've only ever met one other person who's done this. The wife of a nz tour operator. Btw the tour got us straight entry to the tower, while queues were lined up.
That's the second best thing I've ever done, apart from kids etc.

Russ

I agree - a lot is about the demeanor/attitude of the traveler. A traveler needs to anticipate that things in other countries will be different - sometimes radically different. Not just language. Even English speaking countries have different customs, life styles and attitudes. Travelers are guest. They need to behave as guest in someone else's home. Sis and BIL spent 3 weeks touring several countries in the southern region of Africa August/September last year. They knew that amenities would be scarce. The luggage restriction was severe because they traveled from place to place by small plane. Sis told me that they went on this trip with no anticipations. They were ready to enjoy every experience. Their trip was amazing. Many of the villages were extremely poor. Beyond our comprehension. The villagers were warm, welcoming and curious. Sis and BIL both came home with a greater appreciation of our abundance and well being.

Here's one, and I think I touched on it before, but here it is again:

I got to the UK in October, and my wife joined me about three weeks later, in November. By mid-December, we bought a new car (Volvo) through Tourist-Diplomat Sales and before we knew it, just over a month later, we were on our first trip from England to another country, Sweden, to pick up our car at the factory.

They put us up at a nice downtown hotel in Gothenburg, and it was a little disorienting, getting from the North Sea ferry port to the right bus for our hotel, and it was dark, and rainy, and cold, and by the time we got there and got settled in, we were starving, so to make things easy, we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, which looked very posh to us.

We were seated, it was very close to Christmas, and there were decorations, but very understated, which made it seem even more elegant to us.

To Americans who'd never been anywhere near anything Scandinavian before, the menu was a complete mystery, with all those ø things in every other word, we were lost. The waitress knew just the most basic English, and she pointed to one thing and said "beef," and another and said "duck," or whatever, and to keep it safe we ordered the beef, and we'd watch her deliver festive-looking bottles of beer to another table, so we ordered those.

Did I mention we were starving? We had that kind of hunger where you're sort of biting your nails and constantly looking over at the kitchen doors, ready to eat the tablecloth if need be.

The doors swung open...two plates...is that ours?...looks like it's heading our way...yes! YES!!! GET IN MY BELLY!!!

She sat down the plates, and were each greeted with a piece of meat no larger than a single scallop, and about half as thick. Seriously, this was a cracker-topper at best.

Not only that, but arranged at equal intervals around the meat...three carrot halves, only these carrots, before they were halved, were no bigger around than a standard pencil. A silky brown sauce was dribbled around it all.

It was classy, artistic even, but more than anything, it was...small.

Seriously, my fork weighed more than the beef. Maybe this is some kind of unspoken appetizer that everyone gets? We're in Europe, after all, and maybe this is a European thing? Surely this isn't our entire meal? Is it?

It was.

We did manage to also get a kind of plum tart thingy, which was also laughably small, but all combined, both meals together, didn't even come close to equaling a typical meal for one of us, let alone both.

We ended up going back up to the room and eating the Toblerone that was there, as well as some crackers that we'd stuffed in our pockets from the ferry ride over.

The next night...we took no chances on going hungry, we went to Pizza Hut! :laugh:

Here's one, and I think I touched on it before, but here it is again:

I got to the UK in October, and my wife joined me about three weeks later, in November. By mid-December, we bought a new car (Volvo) through Tourist-Diplomat Sales and before we knew it, just over a month later, we were on our first trip from England to another country, Sweden, to pick up our car at the factory.

They put us up at a nice downtown hotel in Gothenburg, and it was a little disorienting, getting from the North Sea ferry port to the right bus for our hotel, and it was dark, and rainy, and cold, and by the time we got there and got settled in, we were starving, so to make things easy, we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, which looked very posh to us.

We were seated, it was very close to Christmas, and there were decorations, but very understated, which made it seem even more elegant to us.

To Americans who'd never been anywhere near anything Scandinavian before, the menu was a complete mystery, with all those ø things in every other word, we were lost. The waitress knew just the most basic English, and she pointed to one thing and said "beef," and another and said "duck," or whatever, and to keep it safe we ordered the beef, and we'd watch her deliver festive-looking bottles of beer to another table, so we ordered those.

Did I mention we were starving? We had that kind of hunger where you're sort of biting your nails and constantly looking over at the kitchen doors, ready to eat the tablecloth if need be.

The doors swung open...two plates...is that ours?...looks like it's heading our way...yes! YES!!! GET IN MY BELLY!!!

She sat down the plates, and were each greeted with a piece of meat no larger than a single scallop, and about half as thick. Seriously, this was a cracker-topper at best.

Not only that, but arranged at equal intervals around the meat...three carrot halves, only these carrots, before they were halved, were no bigger around than a standard pencil. A silky brown sauce was dribbled around it all.

It was classy, artistic even, but more than anything, it was...small.

Seriously, my fork weighed more than the beef. Maybe this is some kind of unspoken appetizer that everyone gets? We're in Europe, after all, and maybe this is a European thing? Surely this isn't our entire meal? Is it?

It was.

We did manage to also get a kind of plum tart thingy, which was also laughably small, but all combined, both meals together, didn't even come close to equaling a typical meal for one of us, let alone both.

We ended up going back up to the room and eating the Toblerone that was there, as well as some crackers that we'd stuffed in our pockets from the ferry ride over.

The next night...we took no chances on going hungry, we went to Pizza Hut! :laugh:

That meal would probably have suited me - I often order starters as a main course in restaurants because I find portion sizes too big otherwise. I love eating in really good fine dining restaurants - and one of the reasons is that the portions are often small and I can usually manage a three course meal for that reason.

I was actually surprised by how quickly I picked up driving in the UK -- even in London. Now, my wife was scared to death because she was sitting where the driver sits in the US, with no steering wheel or brakes. Some of the narrow country roads, especially in the hills of the Lake District, had her just about to climb into my seat. :laugh:

Now, there is no way I would even try to drive in Paris or Rome. :eek:

CD

The roads in Iceland are 'interesting' winding at times and a sheer drop :ohmy:

Its amazing how quickly you get used to it. We drive our RHD motorhome all over Europe, so long as you adjust your mirrors slightly its not that difficult most of the time. Occasionally the visibility at a junction may be a bit limited...that's where the co-pilot (passenger) needs to help out.

We mainly travel to see new places, new cultures and to try new food and drink. We've never had a problem when it comes to language: I speak French, German and a bit of Spanish so I can work out the gist of things in Italian or Dutch (doesn't always work but there are often similarities between languages). Even if we don't speak the local lingo (eg. Polish, Slovakian, Croatian) we can usually find a common language to communicate if they don't speak English. Plus nowadays Google Translate can always help....its not perfect, but it helps.

We also always try to learn a few words and simple phrases....hello, goodbye, please, thank you, two beers please......I think it shows respect for the culture. Though this kind of backfired on me when we were visiting the salt mind outside Krakow: I'd carefully rehearsed my request for two tickets for the English speaking tour....which was fine until the lady answered me in Polish! I've no idea what she asked, but I ended up with tickets to the tour I wanted so it all worked out :okay:

This is a bit puerile, but let's go there anyway. One time in Budapest, we were at a museum and decided to have a bit to eat in the cafe there because it looked quite good. They had some cheese sandwiches, so we thought we'd have one each with a cup of coffee. Always willing to give the local language a go (Hungarian is notoriously tricky), we felt we ought to ask for the right thing.

The only problem is that the Hungarian word for cheese is sajt. This doesn't look too serious, but it's the way you pronounce it. The s at the beginning is a sh sound, so the only way to say the word is, well, sh-ite. At least we can honestly say we had a sh-ite sandwich.

(Note: I had to put the hyphen in because the checker thingy doesn't want me to put that word and "shoot" makes no sense.)

Its amazing how quickly you get used to it. We drive our RHD motorhome all over Europe, so long as you adjust your mirrors slightly its not that difficult most of the time. Occasionally the visibility at a junction may be a bit limited...that's where the co-pilot (passenger) needs to help out.

We mainly travel to see new places, new cultures and to try new food and drink. We've never had a problem when it comes to language: I speak French, German and a bit of Spanish so I can work out the gist of things in Italian or Dutch (doesn't always work but there are often similarities between languages). Even if we don't speak the local lingo (eg. Polish, Slovakian, Croatian) we can usually find a common language to communicate if they don't speak English. Plus nowadays Google Translate can always help....its not perfect, but it helps.

We also always try to learn a few words and simple phrases....hello, goodbye, please, thank you, two beers please......I think it shows respect for the culture. Though this kind of backfired on me when we were visiting the salt mind outside Krakow: I'd carefully rehearsed my request for two tickets for the English speaking tour....which was fine until the lady answered me in Polish! I've no idea what she asked, but I ended up with tickets to the tour I wanted so it all worked out :okay:

When in France I was told to attempt to speak their language, they appreciate it and are tolerant. I had two years of it in high school so I got by. The French like kiwis, not so much ozzys ?

Russ

One of my more frightening experiences was when I wasn't driving. We were in a minibus driving back from Al-Qamishli to Damascus and had been delayed at one point. By the time we were on the Aleppo - Damascus highway it was dark. Driving in the dark is dangerous at the best of times in Syria (single headlights or no headlights) but we came across a jack-knifed truck blocking the carriageway. The driver managed to cross the central reserve so we were driving on an unlit road in the dark against oncoming traffic which may or may not have had lights on. It was some 5 km before we could cross back on to our correct carriageway.

Back
Top Bottom