Farm fresh eggs

Local time
12:00 PM
My husband has a new coworker who farms full time and works with him part time. This week, she brought him a dozen farm fresh eggs. Man oh man, they are delicious; so much better than the ones I buy at the grocery store. The whites are pure white, the yolks are a bright, vivid orange, and they just taste so much better to me. My husband, on the other hand, doesn't notice a difference other than the brown shells.

How about you, do you notice a difference between farm fresh eggs and the ones at the grocery?

Things are a little different here in the UK, but generally the ones we can buy from the side of the road where homeowners are selling off their hens or ducks eggs tend to taste so much nicer and as you say, often have much yellower yolks. I know my friend's eggs up in Scotland taste delicious and we eat way too many of them when we visit her. :hungry:

fresh eggs are completely different,when you fry or poach them they spread less,the colour is more vibrant
i use a mixture of chicken eggs over a week from open lay,to free range to the small pullet eggs ,but i prefer the free range,we don't keep chickens any more but used to love keeping a small flock,they are great characters and the eggs are the big plus ,we got over run with cock birds at one stage and started to get the fox in,so as they died we never replaced them

I sometimes by the organic ones from the supermarkets when I can afford them. :wink:

I have 5 chickens and a duck and they all lay eggs.i have fresh eggs every day, and give some to my son, daughter, and neighbours. There is nothing like the taste of fresh eggs from birds that are allowed to roam free all day. Cakes are beautiful. The problem with eggs bought from a shop is that you have no idea how fresh (or not ) they are. Its not just the taste, but the colour and texture as well. Yum

Yes, the difference is incredible! When we first got chickens and they started laying, I was absolutely blown away by the flavor and color of the eggs. After eating home grown eggs, the ones in the store don't taste good to me at all, in fact they are so bland I have a difficult time actually getting them down. I just didn't eat eggs in the winter when they stopped laying because is was too much work to force down store bought eggs that had no taste.

I just didn't eat eggs in the winter when they stopped laying because is was too much work to force down store bought eggs that had no taste.
This year my landlady's ducks did not stop laying at all! I do wonder what impact this is going to have on their bodies later on because they have had no rest and no chance to recover. But I guess they will stop laying if they are 'too tired'.

My chickens didn't stop laying all winter. Every day they provided us with eggs. My duck rarely produces eggs these day. Sometimes the shell is only partly formed, more often than not, she does not lay at all.

Back
Top Bottom