Favorite Christmas Movies

mjd

Veteran
Local time
11:39 AM
We have a thread for favorite Christmas music so I thought a Favorite Christmas Movies thread would be fun too!

One of my favorites is "Silent Night" starring Linda Hamilton (mom in "Terminator" movies). It's based on a true story of a woman (Hamilton) and her young son who accepts soldiers from both sides of World War II into her home on Christmas Eve.

Silent Night (TV Movie 2002) - IMDb

I later learned the story was retold on "Unsolved Mysteries" when the boy, all grown up, sought to find the soldiers he met that starry night.

The Friends of Fritz Vincken

I have more favorites. I'll post them throughout this thread.

What are your favorite Christmas movies?

Definitely "Christmas Evil" is up there - it's kinda-sorta a slasher film, but being that it's Christmas-themed, it's got a positive message and a heartwarming ending...really!

I also love Elf, Christmas Vacation, and Planes, Trains, And Automobiles.

I also like watching Hallmark movies (we're watching one right now), but they're all essentially the same movie, so I won't name any. :)

Definitely "Christmas Evil" is up there - it's kinda-sorta a slasher film, but being that it's Christmas-themed, it's got a positive message and a heartwarming ending...really!

I also love Elf, Christmas Vacation, and Planes, Trains, And Automobiles.

I also like watching Hallmark movies (we're watching one right now), but they're all essentially the same movie, so I won't name any. :)

Something ain't quite right about you, boy.

But, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is really good.

You would have to strap me to a chair, and prop my eyes open like Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange to watch a Hallmark movie.

CD

I love just about any version of A Christmas Carol, but one that gets overlooked a lot is "An American Christmas Carol," with Henry Winkler.

I also like "The Christmas Box" with Maureen O'Hara and Richard Thomas. Speaking of Richard Thomas, The Waltons Christmas movie (Homecoming) is excellent.

And that one reminds me of "The House Without A Christmas Tree," with Jason Robards, which in turn reminds me of "Mr. Krueger's Christmas," with Jimmy Stewart.

Black Christmas (from 1974, not the remake) is another good murder-mystery/slasher movie, though unlike Christmas Evil, it doesn't have a good Christmas message interwoven amongst the killings.

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale is...different. The first half is very interesting and unusual, but then it squanders all that lovely uniqueness and devolves into a rather bland action movie parody, but it's worth seeing, just for the first half.

I also like Christmas In Connecticut with the always beautiful Barbara Stanwyck. It's got some very dated themes in itC but she's delightful.

Agree with Die Hard and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. National Lampoons and Love Actually are probably my favourites.

Back
Top Bottom