Favorite Cooking Resource

whitakermk

Veteran
Local time
7:32 PM
Where did you learn how to cook and where do you get new ideas or learn new techniques? Do you reach for the family cookbook, ask a relative, search for suggestions online, take a cooking class, watch the TV, or simply learn by trial and error?

All of the above for me. My mum is 93, and has boxes of recipes that she has cut out of magazines over a period of perhaps 70 years. She was also a school cook, and has passed numerous recipes onto me. I also use the internet, IE BBC website, and just a couple of cook books.

Where did you learn how to cook and where do you get new ideas or learn new techniques? Do you reach for the family cookbook, ask a relative, search for suggestions online, take a cooking class, watch the TV, or simply learn by trial and error?
I learned the basics from my family, but since I changed my lifestyle, I use online sources to help me the most. My family doesn't have a clue about cooking vegan foods. It's like a whole new world for them.

All of the above for me. My mum is 93, and has boxes of recipes that she has cut out of magazines over a period of perhaps 70 years. She was also a school cook, and has passed numerous recipes onto me. I also use the internet, IE BBC website, and just a couple of cook books.
When my mom passed away last year one of the things that healed my heart was going through some of her old cookbooks. They had notes written from her on the side of pages. They also contained many recipes written on paper from some of her church friends and even a few from my grandmother as well as a few other relatives that had passed away years ago. Those are some of my favorite recipe sources now.

I got most of my ideas from books. I like to look at the pictures of food, some of the pictures are things I would never cook but I like the picture. Also I hunt for ideas online.

If cooking is your passion like me you will have all the resources like...cookbooks, cooking websites, grandmother and mother old recipes...All of these I had as my guide and references in making, creating and innovating my recipes. I love to cook and I always experiment and innovate old recipes until I will get its right taste. Practice makes perfect and I am always doing this when it comes to my cooking.

I learned the basics from my family, but since I changed my lifestyle, I use online sources to help me the most. My family doesn't have a clue about cooking vegan foods. It's like a whole new world for them.
I would love a good vegan chili recipe if you have one to share Kamarun1. I'm not a vegan but we often do the meatless Monday thing and salads can get boring all of the time. Thank goodness for spring coming where I can get my hands on some fresh veggies for the grill.

I have loads of Cook books some are from my great great aunt who was in service in a big houses kitchen,I have traditional books such as the repertoire de cuisine and modern tv chefs books and of course the Internet is a invaluable source ,but ideas of cooking comes from the heart,

Back
Top Bottom