Favorite cut of steak?

Shellyann36

Veteran
Local time
8:02 PM
We don't get to eat steaks often here at home because they are so expensive. I will admit that when we have some extra cash and our local grocery store has them on sale we will get whole ribeyes and have the meat department cut them up for us to our specifications. I do so enjoy a good ribeye. We normally bring them home and seal them up with our Seal-A-Meal and keep them for special occasions. Our birthdays, Valentines day or our Anniversary.

What is you favorite cut of steak?

I prefer t-bone steaks to other cuts of this meat. The bone in them helps seal in the flavor during the cooking process. Normally, I grill my t-bone steak in a grill pan. It's a tool that is easy to use all year round. Also, you get those grill marks that make t-bone steak (or any meat) look more appealing.

t_bone.jpg

Mine would be a Ribeye as well, preferably boneless if I am cooking it myself, but bone-in is fine if I am ordering it at a restaurant and they are cooking it over a wood fire. It's just easier to cook boneless at home, since I don't have a screaming hot grill. I know they are popular, but I am really not much of a fan of NY Strip or Filet cuts, the flavor is kind of boring and they are missing most of the marbling.

Another cut I have seen gaining some popularity is the Hangar steak. I believe it goes by a few other names such as Flatiron or Spencer steak. It's got a signature line of fat right down the center of the steak, and then marbling that branches off to the left and right. I guess they used to be inexpensive back in the day, but have been gaining in popularity over the years (isn't that the case with every previously cheap cut of meat these days?). Again, not my favorite as that vein of fat down the middle can be really tough, and you more or less need to cut around it. The meat isn't as tender as a Ribeye either, and it has more of a liver-ish taste to it.

Back
Top Bottom