Favorite Grain

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
8:43 AM
Since going gluten free, what have you found to be your favorite grain?

I would say millet is my favorite. It has a mild flavor and works as a cereal. I find it really satisfying and an excellent replacement for the cream of wheat I used to eat regularly. Cream of wheat used to be my go to comfort food, made with milk for that wonderful creamy texture, but since it turned out to be contributing to some digestive issues, I had to give all that up. I'm really happy to have found a substitute that makes me feel good in the morning.

I haven't tried millet. What else can you do with it?

My favorite right now is quinoa (although maybe it is a seed?). I think it's great as a side dish, cooked plain or in broth, with butter or not, it works a number of ways. I have also made a black bean burger with it that turned out awesome. I just threw some left over quinoa with black beans, mashed it up roughly leaving some beans whole, then added egg and a bit of hot sauce. I fried it in a non-stick skillet with only a little oil, and served it with diced tomatoes, green onions, and a bit of sour cream on top. It was so wonderful, even my meat and heavy carb eating family liked it!

The other grain I think is okay is buckwheat. However I think it has such a distinct flavor, that I can't do much with it. With whatever I make the strong flavor comes through, making everything taste the same.

Quinoa is a grain. I also like it, but I have discovered I prefer the white quinoa to the red. The red is just so tiny and for some reason it kind of seems almost sandy to me.

You can use millet in place of cous cous, just don't cook it quite as long, maybe more like 20 minutes instead of 30-35 for cereal texture. I have also heard of using millet for risoto, but I am not sure what that dish really is, so I don't know how it would be.

I like to use a mix of the grains and seeds out there.
I prefer to mix the buckwheat with millet and flax and also sunflower seeds that are ground up.
If you tolerate nuts , adding almond flour ( find out if its the non-fat one) and also hazelnut flour , I don't like the typical south French crepes with only chestnut flour , so I add some buckwheat and millet to it. I find that using coconut milk in the baking and cooking helps to bind together and gives more moisture in the finished product.

We are all different when it comes to taste, and nothing will taste like wheat, so you have to find an alternative that gives you the flavor that is better than what you used to have.

Since going gluten free, what have you found to be your favorite grain?

I would say millet is my favorite. It has a mild flavor and works as a cereal. I find it really satisfying and an excellent replacement for the cream of wheat I used to eat regularly. Cream of wheat used to be my go to comfort food, made with milk for that wonderful creamy texture, but since it turned out to be contributing to some digestive issues, I had to give all that up. I'm really happy to have found a substitute that makes me feel good in the morning.
I like buckwheat, especially for pancakes. Millet is good as well. We use it as a good replacement for couscous. But one of the cheapest, and easiest to find is brown rice flour.

Back
Top Bottom