Favorite holiday food

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
1:11 PM
Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming and everyone has a dish that they love during the holiday season. My mother used to make green beans and bacon for us, and it was only made during the holidays so it was a big treat. You basically fry some bacon and then saute the green beans in the bacon grease. Once the bacon is cooled, crumble it up and mix it into the green beans. It is such a simple dish, but it tastes amazing! What is your favorite holiday dish?

This year I am really just looking forward to turkey. I do not get to buy turkey during the year because it is too expensive. I used to get a fair amount of turkey lunch meat, but since I only eat non-processed foods, I have to get lunch meat from behind the deli counter, which I can't afford. So now I am really looking forward to having turkey and hopefully having some left over for sandwiches afterward.

For me It is not an easy thing to choose a favourite holiday food, since I like all of them. However, the 2 that I like the most at Christmas time, (we do not have Thanksgiving here), is yam pie and jug-jug. Jug-jug is a local dish here which is done traditionally at Christmas time in most households. It is made with green peas or dried peas. The peas are thoroughly cooked in well-seasoned water which would consist of either salt meat or ham, with other seasonings like thyme, marjoram, onions, cayenne pepper and salt. The peas would then be removed from the water and crushed in the processor. Most of the water from the pot would be thrown off leaving only a small amount in the pot. The minced peas would then be returned to the pot, and guinea corn flour and margarine would be added. The mixture would then be stirred and cooked over a low heat for a few minutes until the right texture is obtained. Christmas would not be the same without jug-jug. It is usually a dish that is used on New Year's Day as well.

My favourite desserts would be cheesecake and black fruit cake. Black fruit cake is very popular at this season as well.

I am from the Philippines, but I am not based there anymore. So my favorite holiday food are naturally home-cooked Filipino dishes. Examples of this are Pansit Malabon (made from thick noodles with seafood, eggs and roasted pork), Pansit Palabok (thin noodles with crabmeat sauce and some garnishing from veggies, fish and meat), some grilled fish like tuna and blue marlin, fresh vegetable roll (made of spring roll with peanut butter sauce and various veggies) my mom's sweet and a bit sourly macaroni salad. For dessert, I especially like guinatan (made of thickened coconut milk with various sweet root crops).

Now, I can't wait to go home this Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom