Favorite Indian Dish

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
4:49 AM
When I experiment with international cuisine in my cooking, there is often an Indian influence as I really enjoy the flavors associated with this type of cuisine. I am a bit of a spice lover. It is also my favorite type of takeaway meal. Although I occasionally try new dishes, I tend to stick to my favorite. This has changed over the years as my palate has become more accustomed to spicier meals.

I used to go for the creamy dishes. Now, my order is usually poppadoms with chutney to share as a family, chicken madras, pilau rice and a pashwari naan bread to share with my partner. He goes for a lamb rogan josh with boiled rice and the children usually opt for either chicken korma or chicken tikka masala. If I order a side dish, it is usually onion bhaji or saag aloo.

What is your favorite Indian dish and why? Has this changed over the years or have you always ordered the same dish.

I'm not very familiar with Indian cuisine and only know of curry, so I'd pick that one. I've probably had some of their other dishes on one or two occasions though but I'm not exactly sure if the restaurant I was eating at was really Indian or just similar, or possibly even fusion, but if the rice with nuts and raisins is theirs, then that one as well.

I don't have any particular favourite and certainly not from a takeaway or restaurant. I make all of my indian meals from scratch, right down to the dried pulses and soaking them overnight etc.
One of my favourite recipes involves 18 different herbs and spices and tastes divine. I have a very large spice cabinet as a result and things like fresh coconut get grated when opened and the extra frozen ready to use next time I need it. I even make my own tamarind paste from the tamarind fruit which Morison's sell very cheaply in blocks and it is so much nicer than the shop bought tamarind pastes which have loads of sugar and salt in them (as well as other ingredients)

I have yet to explore the breadths and heights of Indian cuisine. I am still a noob in as far as determining the best Indian food is concerned. There's this one remarkable Indian dish I've eaten at this Asian fusion restaurant. It's a big chunk of roti with a dip made from curry and other spices. It tasted really great.

I don't have any particular favourite and certainly not from a takeaway or restaurant. I make all of my indian meals from scratch, right down to the dried pulses and soaking them overnight etc.
One of my favourite recipes involves 18 different herbs and spices and tastes divine. I have a very large spice cabinet as a result and things like fresh coconut get grated when opened and the extra frozen ready to use next time I need it. I even make my own tamarind paste from the tamarind fruit which Morison's sell very cheaply in blocks and it is so much nicer than the shop bought tamarind pastes which have loads of sugar and salt in them (as well as other ingredients)

I make a lot of my own too and takeaways are just a treat for when I can't be bothered and have the spare cash. I never make anything as intricate as 18 spices though. I would love to experiment more with different spices, but I often end up just buying and using the same things. I don't even have a pestle and mortar anymore so I rely on jars of spice which aren't really as good.

I make a lot of my own too and takeaways are just a treat for when I can't be bothered and have the spare cash. I never make anything as intricate as 18 spices though. I would love to experiment more with different spices, but I often end up just buying and using the same things. I don't even have a pestle and mortar anymore so I rely on jars of spice which aren't really as good.
The book I get my recipes from is excellent - taking you through all the basics and making your own tarka up... the paperback version is desperately expensive now but there is a kindle version that is £3... and I can honestly say it is worth it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mango-Soup-...M/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
All of the recipes are vegetarian with the option to make vegan (useful for me being allergic to dairy).
I have been cooking from it for a couple of years now and can freelance with spices that I never even knew existed previously!

Thaks SatNavStaysStraight. I was actually thinking that I would struggle to name 18 spices myself. I cook vegetarian a lot even though we are meat eaters, just because we enjoy it and it is cheaper. I am assuming that I can adapt these recipes to include meat if I wanted. I hardly ever stick to a recipe properly anyway. I might the first time and then adapt it to our tastes or to what we happen to have in at home.

Back
Top Bottom