Favorite method for oven cooked prime rib?

Preheat the oven to 500 and bake uncovered for weight of the roast x 5. So for a 5 pound roast bake for 25 minutes. Then turn the oven off and leave sit in the oven for 1 & 1/2 hours. Don't open the oven door until the 1 & 1/2 hours are up. Comes out Med Rare.
Bravo, that is the method I remembered some of above. Now all I have to do is find a piece of aged rib here. We can get some imported beef steaks but chunk are impossible. The Croatians like Veal and slightly older "young beef".

I found this from a couple of years ago.

Cooked sous vide for 5 hours @ 55deg C then seared in a very hot skillet.

Is that how you met?
Nah, she had been an assistant Maitre D with Celebrity Cruises (first female), four years later she took the job of Duty Free and Gift shop manager. I was recuperating from a couple of month of hard work. I slept in my state room for 24 hours, got up to have a ciggy. I found I had none and could not find my lighter. I went to the mall. She sent the other staff away and asked me what I wanted. 20 Marlbro and a lighter. She asked me what color of lighter. I replied look into my eyes and you tell me. I was 49 yrs old and an arrogant dog. But it was like a good right cross landing when I looked into her eyes.6 month later I took her off the boat and married her. I then showed her what life was like as a pax.
104891926_3081339238609247_6022883589186006026_n.jpg

Now all I have to do is find a piece of aged rib here.
Age it yourself? I did one a few Christmases ago, a fairly cheap supermarket special offer that had only been aged for 21 days. It went into a back-up fridge, uncovered on a rack and ventilated every couple of days. From memory it stayed there for well over 3 weeks, by which time the surface was starting to break down. Boy it was tasty.

Not so cheap here anymore!

After reading this thread I couldn't resist going in search of this today (thank you CraigC ). A 2.5kg Jacob's ladder (or short ribs, if you prefer), at a cost of £12.90. Fillet steak over here starts at £36/kg, ribeye starts around £34/kg. After curing this overnight then cooking low and slow for 72 hours I know which will taste better.

Like Backbay I use the 5/500 method. Room temp, well seasoned bone in roast, comes out pretty good every time. Well, sometimes I do cook it using indirect heat in a charcoal kettle grill, room temp and seasoned well. I use a probe thermometer and pull at about 115 - 118F, it will coast up to about 125F after resting for half an hour or so. I do like mine on the rare side.

mjb.

Back
Top Bottom