Favorite Movies

Gotta go out this morning, so no Coffee or Breakfast on the go.

I'm watching "The Man Who Would Be King" while I get prepared to go.

Later, I will run that Jack Nicholson favorite "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."

The late nighter I have selected will be "Roller Ball."

I watched Disney's "Soul". Once again a brilliant Disney movie about a "mature" theme (dying, and cherishing life).

I've always had mixed feelings about the movie Forrest Gump. It was shown on TV last night and there is still something that disturbs me about it, even though I consider it a well-made film, with a roundup of important historical events... yet...

I've always had mixed feelings about the movie Forrest Gump. It was shown on TV last night and there is still something that disturbs me about it, even though I consider it a well-made film, with a roundup of important historical events... yet...

While Forest Gump references historical events it does so in a manipulative vein, in a way, pandering to the 'peace and love' culture of the 60s and 70s and also, giving some degree of promotion to recreational drug use. But that's the direction Hollywood has taken for a long time now, too often being culturally and politically manipulative, instead of entertaining. And unfortunately, most people fail to apply any degree of critical thinking to what they are exposed to in multi-media.

While Forest Gump references historical events it does so in a manipulative vein, in a way, pandering to the 'peace and love' culture of the 60s and 70s and also, giving some degree of promotion to recreational drug use. But that's the direction Hollywood has taken for a long time now, too often being culturally and politically manipulative, instead of entertaining. And unfortunately, most people fail to apply any degree of critical thinking to what they are exposed to in multi-media.

I share your thoughts, I think the historical events have been artfully stitched together to support his personal story and give him some importance. Probably what bothers me is his total unawareness. I mean, as Lieutenant Dan says to him at one point, 'they gave you, a total idiot, the medal for bravery'.
So, I think that comes very close to the sense of annoyance I feel when I watch that film. A legless, wheelchair-bound, alcoholic and lonely lieutenant and Forrest Gump who, without any merit, gets honours and glory instead.

I share your thoughts, I think the historical events have been artfully stitched together to support his personal story and give him some importance. Probably what bothers me is his total unawareness. I mean, as Lieutenant Dan says to him at one point, 'they gave you, a total idiot, the medal for bravery'.
So, I think that comes very close to the sense of annoyance I feel when I watch that film. A legless, wheelchair-bound, alcoholic and lonely lieutenant and Forrest Gump who, without any merit, gets honours and glory instead.
I understand your point. For me, I think his being unaware was part of his charm. And, that's how it is in real life. How often to do we come to understand the importance of events around us until after-the-fact? He was blissfully unaware and that made his story interesting. Also, I know many unsung heroes and true idiots who've been given all kinds of honors and glory.

P.S. I'm not a person that jumps on the bandwagon and falls in love with every movie that is widely popular.

Whew! All the running around is over and life is back to the normal lock down stay at home routine blah.

Breakfast this morning will be the usual Oats mixed with Granola with my Coffee. I may pop a couple Jimmy Dean Breakfast sandwiches into the nuke.

While consuming Breakfast, the movie "The Eagle Has Landed" will run.

Later, I'll be watching Clint Eastwood again in "The Enforcer."

The planned late night movie I picked is an Alfred Hitchcock thriller "Family Plot."

Kill Bill Vol 1 now on TV!!! 👍🏻

Breakfast is going to be busy today and I'll have to wait til my housemates wake, because I'll need to crank on the blender a couple times to make Breakfast. JAS_OH1 has pointed out that members who have been judges in the past have posted recipes with challenge ingredients, but did not apply them to the challenge. OK, I will post a few and it starts with today's Breakfast which will be a Banana Pistachio Pancake recipe. Don't you just love these 'Never Done That Before Recipes'? You never know how they will turn out.

So, while I am drinking my Coffee and waiting for the women to wake up and dogs to start yapping, I will be watching "Future World."

And later on, I have picked an old favorite, "Logan's Run."

The late night delight will be "Missouri Breaks" with Jack Nicholson.

Back
Top Bottom