Favorite Sauce With Steak

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
1:27 AM
When I order a steak, the meal is not complete to me with0out a pepper sauce. At home, I either make a pepper sauce or a cream and blue cheese sauce. There are so many different sauces you can choose that work well with steak. Which do you prefer or do you think steak is better without a sauce?

I must admit, I'm not a fan of sauces, especially cream sauces. They are far too rich for me, and tend to make me feel quite ill. I do like a pepper sauce though.

I am a big fan or horseradish sauce. I love the strong flavor it has. It is a different kind of hot from hot peppers. I was introduced to it at a restaurant as a kid when I was warned that I it was really hot and I would not like it, so of course I tried it anyway just to find out and ended up loving it, much to the surprise of my parent. It has been my favorite ever since.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of sauces, especially cream sauces. They are far too rich for me, and tend to make me feel quite ill. I do like a pepper sauce though.

I am a big fan or horseradish sauce. I love the strong flavor it has. It is a different kind of hot from hot peppers. I was introduced to it at a restaurant as a kid when I was warned that I it was really hot and I would not like it, so of course I tried it anyway just to find out and ended up loving it, much to the surprise of my parent. It has been my favorite ever since.

Lots of people I know do not like cream based sauces in savoury dishes. I quite like them, but not so that the plate is swimming with sauce. I like horseradish too and enjoy this with a roast beef dinner. For some reason, I never really think of having this with a steak.

I enjoy the classic sauces on a steak. Most of all I really like Dave's steak sauce but I also enjoy A1 and Wostershire sauce. I think it's because I like it rare and still mooing it's concern when I'm pouring a sauce onto it. I'm not sure if the sauce depends on which type of steak I'm eating but I like to think so.

It really depends on my mood - it can be either a creamy blue cheese sauce, or plain old A1 steak sauce, or something like a compound butter melted over the steak or even something like TGI Friday's Jack Daniels marinade sauce. One that I really enjoyed in particular was a blue cheese mousse that was served along side a bone in filet mignon at a steakhouse in Chicago several years ago. Unfortunately the restaurant was super expensive, and the mousse itself was $8 in addition to the cost of the steak - but I would love to learn how to make something like that at home.

Compound butters are really easy to make on your own, and great to have on hand to top off a steak fresh from the grill, so it melts all over it, and gives it some added savoriness and decadence. All you do is finely chop up some fresh herbs such as parsley and chives, along with some garlic an onion, or just some shallot, and season the butter with salt and pepper - mix it all together and form it into a log on some wax paper. Then wrap it up well, so it doesn't absorb other flavors from your fridge and let it chill until it's solid again. Then you just slice a little off as you need it.

Even though TGI Friday's isn't exactly the best place to go to order a steak, I do still love their Jack Daniels sauce and would really love to learn how to make that at home. I'm rather surprised more high end steak houses haven't come up with something comparable.

Even though TGI Friday's isn't exactly the best place to go to order a steak, I do still love their Jack Daniels sauce and would really love to learn how to make that at home. I'm rather surprised more high end steak houses haven't come up with something comparable.

I don't know if this is similar but it does mention TGI Friday: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1419635/jack-daniels-meat-glaze
Also there seems to be a whole range of Jack Daniels sauces available in supermarkets.

jack d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely, steak tastes good because of the gravy. Just like turkey, it is nothing without the stuffing. My favorite bottled gravy is the A1 brand which is like pepper corn gravy. When we dine in the hotel restaurant, there are always 2 kinds of gravy that I find in the steak counter - red wine and pepper corn. I had tried both and I didn't relish the red wine. At least my taste buds is already in agreement with pepper corn.

Back
Top Bottom