Favorite type of Hard Cider?

Enimrac

Veteran
Local time
5:23 PM
Is anyone on here a fan of hard ciders like Crispin, Angry Orchard, Woodchuck, or Wyders? I've been introduced to Angry Orchard a while ago by a friend, and it has become my favorite alcholic beverage, next to Guiness. It tastes awesome, and gets you pretty sloshed if you drink a lot!

Woodchuck is probably the first hard cider I ever had, but I find myself going for Angry Orchard if I'm buying it in the store. The only one that I don't think I've ever tasted is Wyders.

I'm not a cider drinking person so I've never tasted any. Is cider tarty in taste or sweet? What all do you do with cider besides drink it?

Indigo02, Woodchuck is great, but i agree with you on the Angry Orchard. It seems like Angry Orchard is the most popular. Most everyone I talk to say they love it.
Sweetkymom, the taste of cider is kind of a combination between tarty and sweet. It's much sweeter than your usual alcholic beverage, but it still has a noticeable amount of bitterness that comes with alcholic drinks.

In the UK, cider is categorised by its sweetness or lack of. It is no different from apples in that sense, some are tart/dry and others are sweet. So it is not uncommon to find cider marked as dry/medium sweet/sweet etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider#United_Kingdom . At Christmas the fruit for my Christmas cake is soaked overnight in dry cider. It does not affect the sweetness of the cake (I am careful not to buy cider with added sugar!), but makes it much more moist.

And not all cider is fizzy in the UK, nor clear. Some of the non-commercial/large scale varieties are flat & cloudy but still alcoholic (if it was not alcoholic it would be classed as apple juice!) and often go by the regional name of scrumpy (West Country cider mostly but not exclusively and usually sold direct from the farm).

Back
Top Bottom