Favorite Vegan Cake Recipes?

klorjne

Veteran
Local time
6:19 PM
I'm in a bit of a pickle. My new girlfriend is a vegan. I love her very much, and would like to make her a birthday cake for her birthday (Nov. 11). I know absolutely nothing about cooking with these constraints, so I come to you guys for help. In the past, some vegan cakes I've had felt dry and unsatisfying, but I know it is possible to make an amazing cake with no animal products (many times the GF has surprised me with just how great her cooking can be). Hit me with your best recipes, foodies. Especially chocolate ones, we both love chocolate.

There is no reason why you can not do the usual victoria sponge cake without eggs. Use something like Pure Soya margarine or Pure Sunflower margarine as the butter substitute and simply omit the eggs completely. Baking powder will act as the raising agent along with self rasing flour. Soya/oat/nut milk can be used as the binding agent. (I'm guessing you know by now, but a lot of margarine contains dairy (usually buttermilk) so you need one that is dairy free.)

As for chocolate, well try it with large chocolate drops in it or something along those lines. Look for the Willie's Cacao 71% Sambirano chocolate chips which contains no dairy (or something similar - depends on which country you are in).

Alternatively you could consider something like the Lemon Polenta Cake I made a few months back. If you worked on the decoration it would work as a b'day cake.
I'll look for some more recipes for you tomorrow when my OH is at work.

Oh - thinking about this, I have a fantastic chocolate cheesecake recipe that is vegan... I got better the 2nd time I made it.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/just-made.169/#post-809 the recipe is on this site. http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipies/desserts/deep-dark-chocolate-blackberry-cheesecake/ It is surprisingly easy to make, but it is not cheap - very deifnitely a special occasion. 2nd time I made it, I did it with strawberries instead and served it to a whole load of meat eaters at my mother's birthday & parents' 5th wedding anniversary joint occasion. Out of the 18 pieces, it made (I wasn't too generous) only 1 person did not like it!

I'm not vegan, but a friend of mine gave me this recipe in the knowledge that whenever she comes to visit, I will bake and obviously I need to bake something that she can eat.

This is the recipe

Ingredients
1/2 cup soy margarine
1 and 1/3 cup unrefined sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups soy milk
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour

- Mix wet ingredients well.
- Add in dry ingredients bit by bit and keep mixing.
- Bake in a large cake pan at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until done.
- Frost with a vegan icing of your choice

Back
Top Bottom