Recipe Federal Bread

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:36 AM
This is a recipe from "Mary & Vincent Price's Come Into The Kitchen Cook Book," which contains recipes they collected from different time periods of American history.

This one dates from the American Civil War era (1860's), and by the title, maybe it was their version of "freedom fries." :)

I posted about this in the Today's Bread topic, it didn't come out exactly as I envisioned, and the recipe is posted at morning glory's request.

FEDERAL BREAD
Makes 2 loaves

INGREDIENTS
1 pint of light cream
1/4-cup of butter or margarine
1 tsp of salt
2 packages of active dry yeast
1/2-cup of warm water
4-1/2 to 5 cups of flour
2 eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS
Scald the cream, add the butter and salt, cool. Soften the yeast in yarn water. Make a well in the center of the flour in a bowl, add the eggs, cream, and yeast. Stir smooth and beat 1 minute. Divide the batter between two 8" x 4-1/2" x 3" greased loaf pans. Set the pans, covered, in a warm place to rise until doubled. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until the loaves are golden. Remove from pans and cool.

I used an equal mix of AP flour and white whole wheat flour. The dough was very wet, just slightly heavier than a cake batter, and after the single rise, was quite fragile and filled with holes. In the oven, it sprang, then collapsed a bit. I also didn't bother scalding the cream, just warmed it in the microwave.

The appearance isn't that great, but the taste is good - somewhere between a normal sandwich bread and a moist muffin. This would be excellent bread with a soup, not so good as a sandwich bread.

scalding milk is not for just heating it up.
Scalding Milk: Is It Really Necessary?
"In bread making, scalding the milk serves a more scientific purpose. The whey protein in milk can weaken gluten and prevent the dough from rising properly. Scalding the milk deactivates the protein so this doesn’t happen."

That's fascinating - I make a lot of bread and didn't know that.

That's fascinating - I make a lot of bread and didn't know that.
Same here - I did about 15 minutes' research ahead of time, and all I found was, "People used to scald milk to kill any impurities, but with today's ultra-pasteurized milk, this is no longer necessary."

many tales get carried over as "kitchen lore" where sometimes bits and pieces of the reasoning get lost.

like "proofing" yeast. once upon a century, yeast sources/methods/keeping were a bit iffy and one proofed the yeast to be sure it's still viable. commercial yeast today is highly reliable - yet recipes written yesterday and many bakers.... will still write 'put the yeast in warm water and . . . '

I suspect the milk whey vs. gluten thing only occurs for specific recipes / circumstances.
the Federal bread rose and fell - could be over proofed - using whole grains almost always challenges a good rise / gluten development, one must adapt - or the milk thing....

recipes written yesterday and many bakers.... will still write 'put the yeast in warm water and . . . '

I think this is necessary if you use fresh yeast (not least because you can't mix it directly into flour as its in a solid lump) but the dried instant kind certainly doesn't need it.

Fresh yeast:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom