Feelings about entertaining/socializing

This even extends to going out to lunch
For me, it’s again about being hard on myself - if it’s on me to organize a lunch outing, and I pick the place, then I feel personally responsible if anything goes wrong - something wrong with the meal…restroom out of order…too crowded…hard to find a parking spot…I should have expected that and had a contingency plan for absolutely every possible thing that could have gone wrong.

I can think back to plenty of meals out over the years still ruminate over this or that thing that wasn’t quite right and feel awful about it all over again.

Are you Pete?
:laugh: I think I probably am, as Pete is constantly trying to help everyone and be cheerful, but I just took a personality quiz, and it said I was more Jay than Pete.

But we all know…I’m Pete. I’ve made my peace with it. 🏹 :laugh:

Really, it just comes down to different personality types, and how we each got to be the way we are
OK, fair enough - but the UK has got an entire population like that. In the States, I've never felt that unnatural inhibition at all. My son's neighbours called over the fence and invited me in one day, knowing that (a) I love rugby - the hubby is a rugby coach and (b) I like to cook. Jenny LOVES to cook! So immediately, in and out of houses.
At OTR Cigars in Findlay Market, I was immediately accepted, invited in, treated - and obviously the generosity was replicated.
Venezuela - don't even mention it. We're so at ease, we'd probably invite the taxi driver in for a glass of scotch :laugh:

For clarity, are you saying people invite themselves over to yours?
Yep - but close friends and acquaintances, not just anyone. And we love it. They always bring a bottle or two, cakes, desserts, charcuterie, and thus we spend a wonderful Saturday/Sunday afternoon with friends instead of watching interminable re-runs of Chicago PD.

Yep - but close friends and acquaintances, not just anyone. And we love it. They always bring a bottle or two, cakes, desserts, charcuterie, and thus we spend a wonderful Saturday/Sunday afternoon with friends instead of watching interminable re-runs of Chicago PD.
What would be the reaction to these two answers about coming over:

1. “No, I’m sorry, we have plans and won’t be in.”
2. “No, I’m sorry, we’ll be home, but don’t feel like company right now.”

MrsT’s family is more direct like that - I’ve gotten into slight arguments with her family for saying things like, “Hey, we’re coming down next month for a few days.” - reminding them they need to ask, not tell.

That would be my issue with someone inviting themselves over for lunch - it puts me in the difficult position of either accepting even if I really don’t feel up to it, or saying no and being seen as a jerk.

if it’s on me to organize a lunch outing, and I pick the place, then I feel personally responsible if anything goes wrong - something wrong with the meal…restroom out of order…too crowdedhard to find a parking spot…
Wrong attitude. That's like saying the bottle is half empty. Nothing will go wrong if your attitude is right.
I'm not here to judge, mind you - it's just curious how different people can be.
My SIL is married to a very well off construction engineer. They live in an absolutely spectacular house, with extremely tasteful decoration, impeccable gardens, a maid and a cook,... and yet she ends up taking a bucket of valium even if we come over for a BBQ. So we don't go any more. Shame really. But then, it is what it is; she hates entertaining, we love it.

Back in the mid-90s, I'd been working for GTE in a start-up business in Caracas. We regularly did 14 hour days and eventually, I just quit. Completely frazzled and exhausted. Three days later, my late FIL decided to go to Margarita Island, where he had an apartment overlooking the beach. I strung along.
A typical day would be lazing around in the morning then off to the beach around 2pm. We'd sit around and his friends would turn up. By 5pm, there'd be 20 people there, chattering away, drinking scotch. Sooner or later, my FIL would say : "why don't you come over to the apartment tonight? My SIL will cook something up. What are you going to make?"
"Haven't got a clue yet, but I'll think of something".
And I always did, even if it was bruschettas, or a quick pasta, or something Indian.
We did that for 6 weeks and, by the time I got back to Caracas, I was completely relaxed and ready to rock and roll on my next job.

Nothing will go wrong if your attitude is right.
Well, that’s not exactly true, plenty can go wrong! :laugh:

Funny thing is, if I’m by myself, and the service is slow, I don’t care, as long as I have time. If the food’s not prepared quite right, it doesn’t upset me much at all, as long as I can still eat it.

It’s when I’m with others, especially if I organized it, that those things send me in a panic, because I instantly think, “Oh my god, they must think I’m an idiot for choosing this place! As soon as they leave, that’s all they’re going to be saying, how stupid I am for thinking this was a good place to go! Why didn’t I vet this place first?! I am an idiot! Why did I think I could pull this off in the first place? Stupid! Stupid!!! STUPID!!!”

But if the tables were turned, and it was a place they’d picked and it went horribly wrong, I wouldn’t think that about them at all…which gets us right back to that Midwestern upbringing - I want so badly for you to have a good time that I’ll assume responsibility for anything that remotely goes wrong. :laugh:

Well, that’s not exactly true, plenty can go wrong! :laugh:
There are always some times when it DOES go wrong. Wasn't it Michael Jordan who said " always turn a negative situation into a positive situation". And I was watching an interview with Michael Caine the other day, and he said that's how he learned to be a great actor; always turn a negative into a positive. My usual response is "S**t happens. Tomorrow's another day"
I remember about 7-8 years ago, giving a Culinary Course on chutneys, jams, marmalades, conserves, pickles, hot sauces, etc. I'd done the course 20 times, never a problem. That particular day, I not only burned the strawberry jam, but also the orange marmalade, because I was answering a thousand questions. What did I do? Hey, I made a mistake, and that's how we learn. Let's do it again ! ( which we did, as I stood like Eddie the Eagle over the hot stove :hyper: :hyper: :laugh: ).

Last edited:
TastyReuben I don’t think you’re uptight, you just sound like a worrier.

My bezzie is a worrier and two of my close friends are also worriers, they tell me their anxieties (usually so I can reframe them and make them feel better) and this has given me an insight into how difficult these things really are for them.

I think for them it’s born out of sensitivity, they are very perceptive people and sensitive to others emotions so they can easily see if somethings not liked or just that the OP seems unhappy for whatever reason.

Then another component of their personality kicks in and screws them over - they are kind and want to help.
They want the other person to feel alright and if they don’t they feel it is their fault for not anticipating their needs, that somehow they have failed to provide that person with a good time.

When I was younger I used to be a little bit that way inclined myself. But you’re not a bucket for other peoples emotions or responsible for them.

So for the family get together where some members haven’t been in the same room for 8 years I have tried to anticipate some of the things that will cause grief. The seating must be comfortable and roomy or my Dad will moan continually about “short people” arranging things with only short people in mind. Both of my parents may kick off if the food served is not familiar or liked so I chose things that should go down well. I will move motorbikes down to the yard (out of sight) so my brothers don’t get the green eye monster. I have bought a high chair, new cot mattress and will get flowers for my SIL so she knows she is welcome and her baby has been considered. I’ll play music I know is enjoyed by everyone and ensure the service is as smooth and accommodating as possible.

But I still wouldn’t be surprised if it all falls apart and if it does I won’t feel bad. It won’t be my doing and I will know I’ve done my bit by providing the effort and energy for best chances of success.

I suppose what I’m driving at is you care and that is in itself a very nice thing to have in a friend. Beating yourself up that you give a sh*t if others have a nice time is fruitless but it comes from a kind place. You really shouldn’t ever expect perfection from yourself, just relish that you made a good effort.

You’re possibly better off simply congratulating yourself for the stuff you did well rather than focusing on the parts where you think you could do better.
The bad parts are just more info for how you’re gonna totally nail it next time and if you don’t so what, the sky won’t fall in.

ps when everything settles down here and the American Odyssey planning is back on, the visit to Ohio and meeting up with you (TastyReuben), will certainly be eating out, I’ll suggest some places and pick where, we’ll make sure it’s when you’re on a day off. Mr SSOAP and I already know you’re a good guy so there you go you’ll have responsibility or worries… but oh my what to wear 🤔 😂

visit to Ohio and meeting up with you (@TastyReuben), will certainly be eating out
I wanted to add that you all can certainly come to the house, you just have to know the proper response to every situation:

“Giant mosquitos are chewing my feet off!”

IMG_8197.jpeg

“But it’s fine, it really is! I’ll really enjoy scratching those later on in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep…because my feet itch so badly. It’s fine, no really!”

“Oh, look! That neighbor’s 110-pound dog has just pushed our motorcycles over and has taken a large chunk out of the back tyre! That’s ok, no really! He’s just so cute and wants to play! We were looking to replace those anyway, they’re too…new?…yeah, that’s it! He’s really doing us a favor by completely and utterly destroying it. It’s ok! Really!”

IMG_8198.jpeg

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom