Electric kettles across the world

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:13 AM
[Mod.Edit: this post and following posts moved from another thread (MG)]

Are you planning on taking a kettle with you? I think it is the case that US hotels. motels etc. don't have tea making facilities in the room. In fact a large percentage of US homes don't have electric kettles.

Sorry, off topic.

On topic. I hate entertaining. If I have to do it everything gets prepared ahead of time so all that's needed is re-heating or assembling. Even doing that is stressful.
US hotels often have coffee makers that heat up the water so that it can pour through the coffee pod and they will have tea bags in the caddy that tea drinkers can use, but the problem with that is the internal parts of the coffee maker smell/taste like coffee so the tea is odd tasting. Some hotel rooms will have microwaves so that water can be heated up that way, but not always.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you planning on taking a kettle with you? I think it is the case that US hotels. motels etc. don't have tea making facilities in the room. In fact a large percentage of US homes don't have electric kettles.

Sorry, off topic.

On topic. I hate entertaining. If I have to do it everything gets prepared ahead of time so all that's needed is re-heating or assembling. Even doing that is stressful.

I carry a full size ‘heat hold’ kettle with me in Europe.

In other countries like the US I buy when I arrive as they don’t have the same power as we do. That’s one of the reasons electric kettles aren’t so popular over there, the lower voltage means they take a lot longer.

I have once (and yes I feel bad about this) blacked out and entire hotel plugging in my English hair dryer to their low voltage system, worse still I didn’t realise it was my doing until the second time it happened 😬

Needless to say I’m careful now 😂

I carry a full size ‘heat hold’ kettle with me in Europe.

In other countries like the US I buy when I arrive as they don’t have the same power as we do. That’s one of the reasons electric kettles aren’t so popular over there, the lower voltage means they take a lot longer.

I have once (and yes I feel bad about this) blacked out and entire hotel plugging in my English hair dryer to their low voltage system, worse still I didn’t realise it was my doing until the second time it happened 😬

Needless to say I’m careful now 😂
My electric kettle heats up water to a boil very quickly so apparently the manufacturers have made vast improvements since your last US purchase. Also most hotels and air bnbs have hair dryers? When was your last trip over?

My electric kettle heats up water to a boil very quickly so apparently the manufacturers have made vast improvements since your last US purchase. Also most hotels and air bnbs have hair dryers? When was your last trip over?
Ah well thats good. I don’t see it as a problem and what’s considered fast is all relative isn’t it.

You’d need 25amps to create the same power from 120volts and as you do from the 240volts used in Europe.
US domestic socket supplies are limited to 15.

The 120 watts and the 15 amperes per socket limits American products to a safe max of 1800watts.

Over here and most of Europe (other than up a mountain in Austria but thats a whole other hairdryer story 😮😂) 3000watt kettles are common. Hairdryers 2000-2500. Irons 2500-3000. So as you see there’s a big difference in the maximum output.

1800 is a perfectly respectable amount of power and we have small appliances that are that or even less but most people want to get their ironing done and sit done with a cup of tea as fast as possible 😝

The history of electricity on the US is quite fascinating. I seem to remember something about electrocuting an elephant and DC (direct current) not being able to travel very far.
It used to be quite easy to tank a hotels electricity by unthinkingly plugging in a kettle and drying your hair at the same time but now your appliance just won’t work.

I don’t use hotel hairdryers. They often have a melt your hair quality to them and aren’t up to long stints of use if you’re using it to help dry wet gear. I don’t enjoy breaking a hotels stuff when they’re good enough to provide it 👍
Plus there’s no guarantee of a hair dryer and I do so hate getting cold or putting a helmet on wet hair.

Edit: If you’re wondering how an earth I know all this useless stuff my Dad for many years was an electrical engineer.

Ah well thats good. I don’t see it as a problem and what’s considered fast is all relative isn’t it.

You’d need 25amps to create the same power from 120volts and as you do from the 240volts used in Europe.
US domestic socket supplies are limited to 15.

The 120 watts and the 15 amperes per socket limits American products to a safe max of 1800watts.

Over here and most of Europe (other than up a mountain in Austria but thats a whole other hairdryer story 😮😂) 3000watt kettles are common. Hairdryers 2000-2500. Irons 2500-3000. So as you see there’s a big difference in the maximum output.

1800 is a perfectly respectable amount of power and we have small appliances that are that or even less but most people want to get their ironing done and sit done with a cup of tea as fast as possible 😝

The history of electricity on the US is quite fascinating. I seem to remember something about electrocuting an elephant and DC (direct current) not being able to travel very far.
It used to be quite easy to tank a hotels electricity by unthinkingly plugging in a kettle and drying your hair at the same time but now your appliance just won’t work.

I don’t use hotel hairdryers. They often have a melt your hair quality to them and aren’t up to long stints of use if you’re using it to help dry wet gear. I don’t enjoy breaking a hotels stuff when they’re good enough to provide it 👍
Plus there’s no guarantee of a hair dryer and I do so hate getting cold or putting a helmet on wet hair.
I haven't timed it, but my kettle boils in under 2 minutes I'm pretty sure. I'll time it when I make tea the next time.

Why the heck would someone do that to an elephant? That's horrific. Never heard about that, although I watched a fascinating documentary on Nikolai Tesla and Thomas Edison some years ago.

I haven't timed it, but my kettle boils in under 2 minutes I'm pretty sure. I'll time it when I make tea the next time.

Why the heck would someone do that to an elephant? That's horrific. Never heard about that, although I watched a fascinating documentary on Nikolai Tesla and Thomas Edison some years ago.

Well two minutes isn’t bad at all.
I think we’re a bit obsessed with kettle speeds due to the tea addiction 😂
Do you have ones with temperature hold?
My favourite is a Ninja and thats an American brand but the one sold here is 3000watts so I’m hoping there’s a US equivalent.

Well two minutes isn’t bad at all.
I think we’re a bit obsessed with kettle speeds due to the tea addiction 😂
Do you have ones with temperature hold?
My favourite is a Ninja and thats an American brand but the one sold here is 3000watts so I’m hoping there’s a US equivalent.
I dont know about the hot and hold but I can check...

It occurred to me that I only fill my kettle halfway because I only drink 1 cup of tea per day. So that puts a different perspective on my timing. But I've got time to put away the clean dishes from the drying rack while it's heating and I'm not in a hurry.

I dont know about the hot and hold but I can check...

It occurred to me that I only fill my kettle halfway because I only drink 1 cup of tea per day. So that puts a different perspective on my timing. But I've got time to put away the clean dishes from the drying rack while it's heating and I'm not in a hurry.
The quantity of water and the starting temperature of the water does effect the speed a lot.

I know what you mean though, my MIL used to use a massive stovetop kettle. It took forever to boil and I loved it because it meant cup of tea time took even longer 😂

My super fast kettle, auto dispenses a cup of water in 50 seconds and this has meant on many occasions the water being dispensed before the cups arrived, now that is an annoyingly hot drip tray to empty 😆

modern day kitchens in US have one or more 20 amp circuits.
the other utility outlets are 15 amp.
many hotels have installed 20 amp circuits - for precisely the reason your mention.

Edison favored direct current electrical supply - totally unworkable as it loses enormous amounts of power in transmission.
would have required a generating station every couple miles . . .

Tesla favored alternating current - which in the end won out over direct current precisely because of the DC power loss issue.

Edison want to "prove" how dangerous alternating current was - so in 1903 he did indeed stage an event and had Topsy the elephant electrocuted by AC current 'to prove his point' - not his finest hour, one could opine . . .

I just timed it. It took 95 seconds for my kettle to come to a boil and shut off. It's a 1.5 liter kettle and it was filled about halfway.
Thats pretty good. I noticed the American Ninja link you posted which is half the wattage claims exactly the same 90 second fast boil so as you say tech has moved on!

Thats pretty good. I noticed the American Ninja link you posted which is half the wattage claims exactly the same 90 second fast boil so as you say tech has moved on!
I am going to guess that the Ninja monster is much faster than my little Hamilton Beach, since the Ninja is 7-cups and can boil in 90 seconds, wow. I thought I might get mocked for the small size of my kettle, LOL. :laugh:

I'm sure the 90 seconds claim will be for a small quantity not a full kettle.

1.7litres is our bog standard kettle size and a lot of people will go for a 2litre (8 1/2cups, I think that's 67fl oz) because it's not that unusual to have to make many mugs of tea in one go and it's good to be able to fill a pan without too many refills.

My beloved Burco kettle is 4 litres (16 cups or 135 fl oz) and really useful for catering for larger numbers. Comes into its own at Christmas when pans of boiling water are needed.

It's the old fashioned kettle that you'd find in every church hall or village community centre back in the day so here's a pic for Morning Glory to have blast from the past!

IMG_2751.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom