SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:42 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I am a stranger to fennel only having been recently converted to it after a I won a competition where the prize was a chocolate truffle making course by a famous chocolatier. I thoroughly enjoyed the course despite having obvious issues sampling what I was making, but I had taken a few substitutes with me that allowed me to adapt the recipes. Part of the course was that lunch was provided (which included some sourdough made that morning and one that was a chocolate and date sourdough loaf!).

Part of lunch was braised fennel with white chocolate and it was gorgeous. But obviously I have issues with white chocolate being allergic to dairy.

So I am wondering, given how large and lovely (not to mention cheap!) the fennel is in Australia what else I can do with it. I have 2 huge fennel bulbs in my fridge at the moment, so please fire away quickly!

Wow, fennel with chocolate? Can't get my head around that one. I can see the taste combination working but not the texture. We usually quarter the bulbs then braise them in stock until tender. Goes really well with pork.

Wow, fennel with chocolate? Can't get my head around that one. I can see the taste combination working but not the texture. We usually quarter the bulbs then braise them in stock until tender. Goes really well with pork.
the white chocolate melts and partially caramelises which is excellent. The pork won't work for me though!
I think I put the recipe on here somewhere, but it is basically braise in butter, til brown (this being the dairy version)... add the stock and cook as needed covered. Almost boil stock off uncovered. Add the white chocolate pieces including putting over the fennel and into the remaining stock. serve as white chocolate on fennel is melting and white chocolate in stock is caramelising. thoroughly recommend it. Actual recipe is in a book somewhere, I will try to hunt it down again.

the white chocolate melts and partially caramelises which is excellent. The pork won't work for me though!
I think I put the recipe on here somewhere, but it is basically braise in butter, til brown (this being the dairy version)... add the stock and cook as needed covered. Almost boil stock off uncovered. Add the white chocolate pieces including putting over the fennel and into the remaining stock. serve as white chocolate on fennel is melting and white chocolate in stock is caramelising. thoroughly recommend it. Actual recipe is in a book somewhere, I will try to hunt it down again.
I'm also have trouble getting my head round the white chocolate. Its so sweet. Fennel is aniseed in taste and goes very well with fish and with pork. but that would be out for you as well. Fennel also loves cream - if you have a dairy free substitute for cream you could make a fennel au gratin.

A classic combo is thinly sliced orange with thinly sliced raw fennel salad. Squeeze over some lime juice and olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Thinly sliced fennel also can be partnered with pineapple in a salad (good with a little sesame oil).

In some ways, fennel is really best served simply. Its flavour is so particular that you have to be careful not to muddle it with other tastes. Fennel with lentils, I suggest, would be unlikely to work. But fennel simply braised is a delight. Try this one - it could be entered into the Recipe challenge!

http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/content/braised-fennel-ginger

Or try a gratin of potatoes and fennel. Layer thinly sliced fennel and thinly sliced floury potatoes in an oven-proof dish, seasoning each layer then pour over vegetable stock. Bake for an hour at 180C covered, then remove the cover and bake another 15 mins to brown the top.

I think fennel is good with eggs too. Try braising thinly sliced fennel in oil until softened then adding a home-made tomato sauce. Poach some eggs in the mixture and serve with crusty bread.

Fennel and chocolate is a common funky idea like chilli and chocolate,does it work or just create a interest or a must try scenario,
I roast fennel with honey and cumin as a garnish for duck,pickle it as a salad,poach it with fish dishes,it's a very versatile

Back
Top Bottom